Rule Machine Rule will not execute

2.2.7.126 w/ C7 trigger is ZEN27

I have a simple rule that has worked in the past. Today I noticed it was not running. I checked all the settings I could think of with no success.

Anyone have any suggerstions.

no relevant live logs.

ZEN27 Data:

I might be missing something, but isn't the "numberOfButtons" just an attribute of a Button device that indicates how many buttons are available to tap, push, hold, etc? Wouldn't you want a trigger like a button being pushed?

1 Like

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend using either "button 3 pushed" or "button 8 pushed" as triggers instead of a custom attribute (which if you really wanted to use would be pushed and not numberOfButtons, the latter of which is generally fixed for the lifetime of the device in that it corresponds to the physical number of buttons or at least however they get interpreted into events; the numberOfButtons event almost never happens except during device install).

Even better, use the "Button Device" trigger type instead of "Button", then you'll get separate "Actions to run" section for each button event and don't have to do it yourself. You'll have to make a new rule, as this special trigger type is no longer available after creating a "regular" rule. Then you can get rid of the conditionals, which are a bit awkward to use for this event anyway (and probably why this special trigger exists, which we've been told is changing to make it easier to discover in the next release).

1 Like

You could even go one further and use the Button Controller App... Couldn't you..?

Also an option! Rule Machine with a "Button Device" trigger is basically the same (Button Controller was actually briefly retired in favor of this), except with some RM-only features like conditionals and variables.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.