Rule Machine request: locked manually vs keypad

I understand Bruce's point. Doesn't negate the fact that this would be useful for a small subset of users. Whether or not it's worth the time to add to RM is a different discussion than whether or not it's a capability that could be useful for something.

If I get some free time sometime soon I'll just make a quick user app that uses a virtual button device. Something like push button 1 for lock manual, button 2 for lock by keypad. Then people can use the button press events for whatever they want to in RM. Easy peasy. Just need to find the 30 minutes to do it.

1 Like

Just a few virtual switches in RM should do it. Rule is, they all need to be ON for the rule to be true. Assign the different button presses to turn them ON. If not entered by a certain time, all the switches needed to be on in order to make the rule true, would instead turn off, keeping the rule false.

Could be done with any button that supports multiple presses and a hold, like the Xiaomi or even a Pico.

I'm not following the multiple switch thing. It's a single button press.

Jason suggested that a single button press (on an external button, not necessarily the one on the lock) is going to cause issues due to the system being armed when it should not, by kids and such. I agree about the kids. Your guests on the other hand should keep their hands off things they donā€™t know anything about :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So letā€™s say I have put a Xiaomi button out in the open where everyone can see it. I assign five button presses to turn on a virtual switch, two button presses to turn on another virtual switch, and hold to turn on a third virtual switch. I create a rule and the condition is that those three switches have to be ON for the rule to be true. If after one minute for example, all three switches are not ON, then they all turn off but thereā€™s a cancel on truth change.

When the rule is true, the system arms, when the rule is false the switches are all turned off.

I think he's just talking about writing a custom app to map a manual lock event to button 1 and a keypad lock event to button 2 on a virtual button device. Then button 1 and 2 can be used to trigger stuff in RM.

2 Likes

I see. Donā€™t think thatā€™s possible with most locks, but it will be useful for the ones that do support that capability.

Yes to both of you. I was talking about a user app specific to Kwikset locks that DO report manual lock versus keypad lock.

What @SmartHomePrimer would definitely work for other locks that do not electronically report the lock method, though.

2 Likes

The point that I made above was that the locks do not report the code used to lock.

The 2.1.1 release of RM will have Custom Attribute available. With that, you will be able to have a rule pay attention to how a lock was locked.

4 Likes

Neat. Thanks Bruce! That's even easier.

And to be clear - I wasn't complaining either way. Was just thinking how it could be done right now for those of us with Kwikset locks.

Keep up the GREAT work!

2 Likes

Will we see this in a beta build for testing? What will the attribute be called?

So just thinking out loud. Can you not discriminate between manual and keypad by using just unlocked for manual. Then use unlocked by code for everything else?

1 Like

They want to be able to distinguish if the thumbturn is used inside, vs the lock button or method (mine is a three finger touch on the glass keypad). I guess there is a lock that locks by entering a code, which I find a bit odd and then the rest have some other method like the aforementioned.

This would allow the to be used to arm HSM or another system when the lock method from the outside is used, but not do anything (or maybe arm with different settings) if the thumbturn is used inside the house.

Ah makes more sense.

I might use it if available, but maybe not :wink:

My wife almost never leaves the house in one shot. So the system would be arming and disarming a lot in a few minutes. I use the location and wifi connection data to auto arm mine. I use the auto unlock trigger to disarm it and if that doesn't trigger for any reason, unlocking via the lock keypad will disarm too.

Hi Bruce(@bravenel ),
Can you provide an example of how to do it? I don't see any Custom attribute which can be used to distinguish between Physical and Digital open/close in 2.1.1

No, I can't. I was responding to what someone else said, that the lock was reporting this. Use Custom Attribute in a Trigger Event or Condition, pick the lock as the device, and it will allow you to see all of the available attributes.

The complete list of attributes for the lock is (battery,codeChanged,codeLenght,lock,lockCodes,maxCodes)
This is the list attribute values for the lock attribute below. Neither one applies to this case.
What should I do?

Also what some of these values mean(unlocked with timeout, unknown,changed)?

changed means that you want the condition or trigger to fire whenever and only if the state changes. As to the others, I don't know. I don't know how to accomplish what you want to do, maybe someone else does, if its even possible at all.

Just wanted to bring attention to this and hopefully we can get the additonal values or even a custom one. As the current custom attributes won't let me do what I want.

I have a rule that arms night when home, when we let the dogs out it would be nice to have the HSM disarm when unlocking. I have the Yale Assure SL with Zigbee Cards and a Schlage Zigbee 468 and they are nearly instant and both report "physical" "thumbturn" which would allow me to disarm the house from inside with the physical unlock. The Yale doesnt have a key so dont have to worry about it being picked, but I dont want someone that guesses or knows the code to be what disarms if were sleeping. So the difference needs to be identifiable which so far from my logs it looks good, just need to use those variables in RM.