Rule Machine option to deal with broken triggers

Yes, we know not to remove devices before removing them from all rules that use them, but sometimes we forget, or miss one.

For Actions, the "Broken" is easy enough to fix, but for Triggers, you're left with an unsightly blank space, with no recourse other than to delete the entire rule and start over.

I request the addition of one of these two options.

1. An addition to the "Delete Event Trigger" dropdown menu that would delete all of a rule's triggers.

or

1. Instead of the current blank space, replace a broken trigger with a "Broken Trigger" message (like the "Broken" message for an action) that could then be selected from the "Delete Event Trigger" dropdown and deleted.
5 Likes

My OCD gets the better of me in these situations too. As Bruce has said in the past that it doesn't affect the rule like the broken parts do, so you shouldn't have to redo the rule. It's just not what you or I want it to look like. I would second this request, even if it is on the back burner for a while.
:grin:

2 Likes

+1 :wink:

1 Like

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 8.45.27 AM

Yep... the display is an OCD event for certain. :smiley:

3 Likes

@jwjr, @april.brandt

OK, this will be fixed in the next release.

10 Likes

So OCD is not your thing. 3 blank spaces :exploding_head:

That would depend on exactly how many seconds I allowed that to exist. :smiley:

1 Like

Blessed art thou, sir. [deep bow] Thanks! :grin:

Will the fix also cover the similar situation with conditions that are screwed up?

In this case the rule still works. However it is impossible to remove the missing/broken conditions because they do not appear in the 'edit' or 'delete' conditions options.

1 Like