Rule Machine not working

Hello everyone! I LOVE Hubitat! it is the most stable system I ever installed! I struggle with the rule. I want to: If variable ALARM is on, AND my office door is closed AND motion office is active, then obviously someone entered by the window. Then Notify my cell phone. Both door and motion senseors are working but not the rule. What am I missing? Thank you.

You don’t have any triggers which is what executes the rule. That should be office motion is active.

Then tick the required expression slider and set your conditions there for the alarm and door like my quick and dirty example:

2 Likes

You have created conditions, but you’re not actually using them in the rule. Notice that next to each condition it says “unused.”

As @ritchierich said, you need to create a trigger for the rule. And then use the conditions to restrict when the rule triggers.

2 Likes

Thank you guys. I think I understand. Let me try.

2 Likes

Well, progress but something is wrong. Now every time I get the Office Breach message but the ALARM Switch is off. And it still say unused. I am clearly missing something. Sorry. Thank you.

Your conditions are still unused. Right now you have the trigger set to active motion and it immediately calls the actions to notify you.

As mentioned above click the required expressions slider above the trigger. Required expression are a set of conditions that must be TRUE in order for the actions to be called. Enter your conditions there making sure you set an AND between the conditions similar to the screenshot I provided above.

You don’t need the motion active condition at all because that is your trigger for this rule. You. A delete that condition in Manage Conditions.

1 Like

This.

You have made specific conditions available for this rule to use.

But the rule is not actually using them.

The documentation for Rule Machine is a helpful reference for understanding Conditions, Triggers, Actions and basic rule building.

Rule 5.1 | Hubitat Documentation

3 Likes

Got it! Thank you all!

2 Likes