Rule Machine Not Updating

When the time is between sunset and 9:30 does it show as True, the lights just don't turn on? Or does it still say "false"?

It says False on the App screen... then when I open the rule, I note that as shown in the screen shot above, they say [TRUE] and then about 1 second later, all the modules switch on as they should... then when I go back out to the app screen... it says [true] as it should...

Does that make sense?

Can you post the logs? Go to the rule and click on the little cog in the upper right corner, then click on Events. That will show a log of the actions the rule took.
Also, you can post the setting page. Those are what support will ask for if you need to get help from them.

Here is the log... I cant make sense of it at all yet actually... it has entries for 12/22 which is TOMORROW... and also has entries from 3AM and similar times... which is a little weird

You're 100% sure that your location and time zone are set correctly? Where are you located (approximately)? Like the state will do. LOL

Did you pick MST from the list of timezones? Pick US/Mountain. If you're located in the US, I'm pretty sure that's your problem!! MST stands for Malaysian standard time in this list.
But with the difference being off by 7 hours, it looks like you picked MST but are actually located in England which is even weirder. LOL

This looks similar to the problem I had in my first week. A reboot of the hub fixed the log time difference and the rule ran as expected. If this fixes it for you, you might want to tag bravenel into the thread so he knows it wasn't just a one-off for me.

Thanks everyone so much!!!

I admit that my location page looks a little odd... should the map actually match my entered location? It does not.

I did a reboot,
Drug the hub in the map to my actual location
Made sure my time zone is correct (Thanks for the info on MST!!)
Entered my zip code again (now it actually sticks)

And we'll see what happens tonight.

Thank you all. I hope this fixes it... b/c we are at two strikes :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Reliability is what I need at any cost at this point.

Do you guys see these sorts of weird problems much or is this a one- off for a couple of us unlucky folks?

I for one can say that I personally haven't had any severe craziness at all. Just the little hiccups. I did help someone once whose PC timezone was set incorrectly and that was causing some issues on a hub until set correctly.

Hey John, might I ask, whilst I wait for this evening to see how things go... what kind of hiccups you have experienced?

I've been in HA for a long time and frankly, NEED higher reliability ... like I want 99.9% reliability at this point... I am no longer OK spending hours and hours lobbying with my silly smartphone. I get too dang frustrated when things dont simply turn on or turn off when they are supposed to.

I don't need another hobby or pastime, I want to set this up and move on.

Is Hubitat the solution for me or should I keep looking?

My hiccups have for the most part been self inflicted. Haaa! Meaning I've broken my ZigBee mesh a couple of times...fixed pretty easily with an Iris plug or 2. I installed a 'user built' App once without thoroughly scrutinizing the code and it brought the hub to it's knees... and rightly so. Again...easily fixable. In the beginning, a few rules in RM didn't cooperate but once again, it was my fuzzy logic that was screwing that one up. Once everything was in the groove, everything has been REAL happy. The changes I make nowadays are mostly just for fun and not out of necessity or to fix something that broke.

That has been my experience as well. I was using a Vera I installed in 2016. Switched over to HE 2 months ago. After the learning curve and getting my desired outcomes correctly set up. It has been rock solid.

The only issues I've had is a faulty device and when I push the boundaries.

Major systems integrated are:
Hue bridge and 22 bulbs.
EcoBee
Alexa
Lutron Pro Bridge 2 with Picos remotes and dimmers.
A bunch of Z-wave and ZigBee devices.

This is encouraging. I come from X-10 (I know...). I found the secret to actually making the power line communication 98% reliable in a large house but the hub solution is not good. I have used multiple solutions and most recently have HomeGenie running on a raspberry pi. The promise of HomeGenie is great... and I have spent maybe a 100 hours getting it right... but it still poops out for unknown reasons and I now have my Pi on a daily reboot timer... that sort of stuff I am not up for anymore. T

Thanks so much for this input. I am hoping my experience is good then

One question for John.Hart. Since I am new to the wireless protocol's... how does one break the zigbee mesh? I understand mesh networking in general... but I probably should know how to break it... so I don't!!!! And... how does the Iris clear it up?

Thanks again!!!!

You'll be able to tell if the sunset time looks correct on the Hub's settings page.

It looks ok... and it did before too.... so fingers crossed that this thing kicks off right tonight. :slight_smile:

Your sunset time before was 4:30 pm? And the time is your current time? I don't track how that is so. Your time should be off by 7 hours.

Make 100% sure that any Zigbee devices you intend on using are ZigBee HA 1.2 or greater compliant. I picked up one of the older version Iris plugs and HE saw it trying to connect but wouldn't allow it. I decided to take matters into my own hands and manually try 'this and that' to force it and wound up knocking a few bulbs and my thermostat offline in the process. Yeah...NOT COOL! The newer Iris plugs (Iris Smart Plug 2nd Gen 3210-L), which unfortunately may not be around for too much longer since Lowes is ditching the line, are compliant and have pretty strong radios in them so make for good repeaters. I have some Xiaomi contact sensors which would dropoff (known issue) but stay connected 100% now since they are running through the new Iris plug. All of that said, when all else fails, hammer on the forums here before buying or connecting a device you're not sure of. Lord knows the gang here has grown some patience with me as I have 'picked their brains' while I shop for new devices.

Yeah sunset here is around 430pm right now. Shortest day of the year yesterday :slight_smile: Am I following your question?

What time is displaying on your settings page for Sunset? And what is the current time displaying for your hub?

@john.hart3706 am trying out the Peanut Plugs right now... Have you tried them? They seem to be working manually fine...

I plan on picking some up actually. I've heard good things as well about the Peanut's and the Tradfri's.