Rule Machine Global Variables

You may be dealing with the differences between vendors. I reworked all of APIXU's values last weekend to match what THEY say the values should be....

Anything in Green I made numbers, anything in magenta I left alone as strings.

However, that cannot force OpenWeather to also perfectly match. I already found, with Dashboard 2.0 and it's newly available Weather Tile, that it's looking for the specific spelling of "windSpeed" vs "wind_mph" (or _kph)

I have to admit to NOT looking at OpenWeather with a magnifying glass as I did with APIXu last week.

Drivers should be 'translating' specifics into higher levels or vise versa. But at this time, there's no 'high level' for weather values. In other words, there's no Driver Capability definition for Weather that would encourage "correct spelling." (whatever correct might be.:slight_smile: )

Hi!

Do you know of a way to call for a GV within groovy?

Thanks

They are not exposed... they are entirely Internal to RuleMachine.

1 Like

Ok, good to know, one less thing to mess around with. Since you're here, do you know why I get the cooling set point "SKIPPED" every time I want to lower both heating and cooling setpoints?

not every Thermostat is alike... skipped might mean it's in not-cooling mode, so changes to cooling does nothing. Just a wild ass guess though.

1 Like

It's idle so I suppose this is not the reason. I'd have to try on different thermostats to see how it goes but for now I'm just going to try to work around this using delays. Thanks a lot for your help!

Could you show a larger context? That (skipped) is coming from RM, and it's not clear why. It shouldn't be skipping it unless there was some conditional action involved.

Just watched the latest video, Global Variables sounds cool, I'm ashamed that I don't get it, but I guess I don't need to....yet

I feel like there should also be a triggering attribute variable. Use case: I am trying to create one rule that will set a variable that will show the latest of certain device events on the Dashboard. Included in those are smoke and CO. The same sensor detects smoke and CO and both of these %value%s have the same possibilities, so if I do not want to split these out into separate rules, there is no way of distinguishing what was detected based on %device% %value% on %date% at %time%. Same with acceleration/motion on the same sensor. It is something I can live with, but it would be a nice addition.

1 Like

Interesting point. You can do this with logic in the rule by testing the attributes directly:

1 Like

Hi, please corect me if I am wrog, but I see noway to have Gobal Variables shown at new RM. It dose show up at Legacy RM but not at New RM.
at New RM

At RM Legacy

At RM Legacy

In RM5 you define global variables under Settings.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will find Hub Variables.
Make sure you have 'Show Advanced Options' active at the top of the settings page.

2 Likes

Thaks so moch for your help. :+1:

I just tried to create a datetime global variable. Every time I enter a time value between 12:01 PM and 12:59PM, the table of current GV shows 12:xxAM
Please advise.
Thanks
John
FW version 2.2.9.145 RMver 5.1

Pleases show a screenshot.

Here you go with a before I click done and after.

OK, there appears to be a problem with times between 12 and 1. Will investigate.

1 Like

Thanks, No rush since I'm still trying to learn the RM logic.
John

This is found and fixed. One of those 'duh' things ...

2 Likes

Thanks, What would I do to force an update?