Rule Machine fade to OFF

Seems like it’s not currently possible to fade lights to a 0% or OFF state. If I create a rule to dim to 0% with a 15 second delay for example, nothing happens. If my lights are up high and I set the rule to dim to 5%, with a 15 second delay, it works fine.

A switch OFF rule of course works, but it just quickly turns them off. I want a slow fade to off, but can’t make it happen. Am I missing something?

What device is this?, most dimmers when turned off will fade automatically without needing setlevel.

Wanting to fade lights, not a dimmer. Sengled Element Plus.

The fade parameter is not an algorithmic thing, It is supported by some dimmers, but not all. It will only work for those dimmers that support it.

It does work with these bulbs, just not when the setting is 0. If I enter 5, I will get a fade to that point, but when I enter 0, the level does not change.

OK, I will investigate this. Perhaps there is an issue with it thinking 0 means off. You can try this in the device details page. What driver are you using?

The upper number is the level, and the lower number is the fade time in seconds.

01%20AM

[Editied]

Yes, I’m aware of the difference, despite them missing labels at this point. If I enter 0 in either the DTH or RM, the issue exists. If I enter anything above 0, I get a fade.

I’m using the Zigbee White Color Temperature Bulb DTH

Help me out, does it fail when you do it through the device details page with 0 to 4? Or does is only fail in RM?

If I enter 1 or higher in the Zigbee White Color Temperature Bulb device details page, I get a fade. If I enter 0, there is no reaction at all. Issue is same for RM (edited my previous reply).

Sorry Bruce, I made an error in previous tests. When I retested, I found the issue exists with 0 in the DTH and RM. Anything greater than 0 gives a fade in both.

You can do a second command after a delay to off though. Fade to 1 over 15 seconds, wait 15 seconds, turn off.

1 Like

Good workaround. 0 is supposed to be valid though :grin:

True, it might be a device restriction. Does fade work when the device is off? Can you fade from off to 15, for example?

Yes, wait…I mean NO. :joy: Not too conflicted :neutral_face:

This is a limitation of the device, not the driver or RM. Both just send it to the device.

So there’s a definite line between on/off and fade functions for this device, then.

Ok. Thanks. So how do you prevent questions like this from taking up your support time in the future? Maybe when zero is entered in the box a pop-up could warn users that it “may not be supported by all devices”? Maybe force them to click “OK” so that they hopefully read that message?

Oh, replace support time by development time? Or, we all just learn and the next time someone pops up with this issue, the community just tells him forget it, won't work.

^.^ Also, now it’s documented in the forum and can be referred to easily.

1 Like

I’m sure you could find more than one use for that feature :slightly_smiling_face: Community support is great, but I have to say it’s really nice to have staff chime in quite often. I know it’s a lot easier for you right now because your team is small and lean, but it’s all those little things that add up to the growing displeasure with SmartThings, that you rarely hear from staff members.