Rule machine controlling humidity

Am just starting to use rule machine and have now encountered my first problem. I am using a humidity sensor to control a switch that is running a dumb dehumidifier. I wish the rule to run on certain days of the week, between certain times , and within certain humidity settings.
Has anyone got a rule for this I can copy or modify TIA

There is a user app called Bathroom Humidity Fan that does what you need. Just use it to turn on your dehumidifier.

3 Likes

Depending on the details, you might be able to use basic rules for this, which is simpler to setup than a rule machine automation.

Hereā€™s an example basic rule I just created.

Note that I added one thing to what you mentioned. The switch will turn off after an hour (even if lower humidity threshold hasnā€™t been reached). That was just to demonstrate itā€™s possible.

Thanks will give it a go

thanks will give it a go

what dump dehumidifier .. i was unable to find any that retained the humiity settings when power was cut and restored.. that is why i basically had to get a smarter one that i leave on all summer with a 60% setting in the empty house with a hose draining into the furnace pump.. i did have to raise it up on a chair to get proper drainage for the long haul even though it has a hose on the rear.

I purchased this one a couple of years ago and it saves the settings when the power is off. I have a whole rule set and smart plug that controls everything and it works perfect for my needs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084SYS2VC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Which dehumidifier did you get?

I got a dimplex DXDH10N 10L

Thank you for that, tried it out and for me I had to make one little tweak as when I started with a humidity reading it would not turn on the humidifier switch.

Here's one I use. It also checks to see if the temp is above 32 degrees because I have one of those dehumidifiers that has a bilge pump in the tank and pumps outside - unless it's freezing and then it doesn't. I also check for the status of a leak sensor below the humidifier. These are pretty old rules and could probably be cleaned up with the new features of RM5 but here ya go. And yes, I do have a room called the "dungeon" and no nothing untoward happens down there. It's just cold and damp :slight_smile:

Ok this not even close to simple but maybe there is some functionality you might be interested in.

I'm using 4 separate rules to control the dehumidifier in my crawl space.
The dehumidifier is cranked right up so it will not shut off and then use a smart outlet to turn the dehumidifier on and off.
With these rules the dehumidifier only runs during Off peak hydro periods.
The dehumidifier will run for 2 hours then off for 30 minutes.
If the floor is wet then the on/off humidity values are higher than when the floor is dry.
If interested I can post the rules.

Looks like you put something together in basic rules that meets your needs.

You should be able to trigger the rule based on a humidity change thiugh, so if youā€™d like to troubleshoot, let us know.

Thank you, got it working as written in your rule, seems I was not patient enough. The rule started once the humidity sensor reported a humidity change, I lowered it to report every half degree change and it soon started.
Thank you for your help

1 Like