Rule Machine - api access?

does rule machine provide api access to retrieve and execute rules?

if not … might that be added please?

thank you.

2 Likes

You can access the Maker API to use a virtual switch as a trigger.

thanks. but no way to actually get a list of the defined rules and trigger one or more of them on demand?

You mean trigger the specific actions within a rule? No. Those triggers are defined within the rule. What action are you trying to perform? Are you trying to enable/disable a rule? I don't understand your question. You're trying to make doing an API call another trigger within the rule? If you have a rule, firing it still won't achieve performing the actions unless the conditions within the rule are true. And if they are, then the rule has already fired.

@Ryan780, he and many others including myself, would like access to Rules via a custom smartApp. This would open up a lot of capabilities to our smartApps. For example, I asked for the same thing months ago so I could add it to my ABC button controller app. I'm hoping @bangali gets a different answer than I did.

No, we mean via groovy code...which is what HE smartApps are written in. A getRules() method for for instance, that would return a map of all available rules...and then some way to interact with the returned rules. Trust me @Ryan780, the HE team know exactly what we are asking for.

3 Likes

Anyone tried the local endpoint trigger? This will trigger a rule from a URL that the rule creates.

1 Like

I would be very interested in this a well. I asked a similar question recently with no result as well.

@patrick, that would work to trigger the rule but it would have to be created as a condition in every rule and manually entered into the smartApp. It would be preferred to request a list of rules to choose from and that could then be executed on demand.

1 Like

Just wondering if this is being considered. I was just modifying a virtual switch slightly and thought wouldn't it be nice to just call my RM custom command directly rather than creating the rule ...

Calling custom commands is not being considered. Those are deeply embedded in RM.

Fair enough. Thank you sir.