Rule is Creating 500 scheduled jobs a day

Just doing some routine cleanup on the HE and took a quick glance at my "scheduled jobs". I have a rule that flips a private boolean if the bathroom motion sensor is active between 4:00am and 5:05am. This rule results in around 500 scheduled jobs a day (seems a little excessive, as I don't see why it needs to even schedule a single job). Anyway here is the rule:

And here is the list of scheduled jobs. There are around 500 for tommorrow morning, with about half for 4:00am and the other half for 5:05am.

Anybody want to shed some light, wondering if I did something wrong here.

You are running an old platform version. (Check Settings > Hub Details if you aren't sure exactly what you're running.) There were some fixes for this a while back.

I'd expect one scheduled job, or really one of two at any given time, either 4 AM or 5:05 AM in response to when the predicate ("required expression," in current terms) will become true or false, but what you see is indeed exessive--and should be fixed now.

There is no scheduling for the motion trigger. That is an event subscription (and one that, in most cases, will only be present if the required expression is true, saving some wake-ups if it's not).

1 Like

running 2.3.1.142, which I believe is the latest. It is a Rule5.0, maybe I should try redoing the rule in Rule5.1?

Also the vast majority of time there is no motion between 4:00 am and 5:05 am in my bathroom. During these times I do a water consumption test (in another rule), if there is water consumption I get an alert. Very rarely, someone actually gets up between these hours and enters the washroom (motion sensor gets activated), this results in the boolean switching and I don't get the alert, since someone who enters the washroom between these times has probably used water.

That could be it. It's an older rule for sure, wasn't sure what this was fixed in!

Just recreated the rule in 5.1 (very simple rule, so easy enough), I will see if that fixes it. Thanks for the suggestions.

3 Likes

Not sure if this feature will apply to stock apps like rule machine but @gopher.ny recently mentioned this:

Yeah, it will.

1 Like