Rule Help - Persistent light state option with motion controller

Then I think you want the option, Don't turn off if already on.

So that will not interfere with motion lighting though? Meaning if the light is turned on by motion then it will still turn off after the set amount of time? But if I hit the switch it will stay on.

Not sure what you're asking. If you turn the switch on, then motion inactive won't turn the lights off.

What are you trying to accomplish? Be specific.

That is fine. I was just making sure that if the light is turned on by motion and not the switch, that it will still obey the motion lighting app and then turn off after motion becomes inactive. I only want the switch to keep the light on, not for it to always stay on even when activated by motion.

As an example here is a motion lighting app I have configured. The way this should work is that motion events active/inactive should obey the rules I have set in this app. But if I turn on the light manually then I want the light to stay on. Also if the lights are already on from a previous motion event and I change the dim level, I want that new dim level to persist until the lights turn off.

In the first sentence, do you mean that you want the light to stay on irrespective of motion that happens after you turn it on?

For the second sentence, you want to select the option for Override for motion only. Override for automation suspend means it won't turn off if you adjust it. So flip that option switch the other way.

This is correct.

Then for that one you want "Don't turn off if already on". It will stay on until you turn the switch off.

Okay that works now as intended.

But the lights still change their dim level when motion is detected. Meaning if I manually adjust the level, the next motion event triggers the dim level to change. I do not see a "Override for motion only" option. Only a "Override for Level" option.

That's the one you want. If this isn't working, it could be a problem with your dimmer device actually reporting that it has changed level. What model device is it?

I have the Leviton DZ6HD dimmers.

EDIT: I don't use the stock device handler, could that cause the issue maybe?

Sure could, I don't know. Motion Lighting is looking for a "level" event from any of the dimmers. You should be able to see these in Device Events or Logs.

So I did test with the stock Z-Wave Dimmer driver, but I had the same result. No matter if I turn the light on at a set level or change the level when its already on, the next active motion event will trigger the dim level to change, So basically its not overriding the motion lighting app. The dim level per mode seems to always be in affect.

I did check the logs and I do see that the "level" event is present when the level is changed,

The next thing to look at are the app details for Motion Lighting (circle i on the Apps page to right of the app name). Near the bottom of the page in Application State there is a variable called "override". The thing to check is the value shown for that after you adjust the dimmer, after the lights are on from motion. If the app is seeing the level change, then it will be true.

So I checked this after manually changing the level but "override" is always false.

That suggests that the device is not actually sending the "level" event that Motion Lighting is subscribed to. What type of dimmer is it?

Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave Plus Dimmer.

Can you show me a screen shot of the Device Events for that device?

Edit: The 10% is me manually setting the level. Current mode is 70% by motion activation.

OK, can you post a screenshot of the Motion Lighting app detail page for Office Lights On. It might take two.