Rule help- newbie

I was pretty savvy at using RM when it was part of SmartThings. I guess Iā€™m rusty and canā€™t get a simple rule to work. At sunset, I want a lights to turn on and at sunrise I want it to turn off. It wonā€™t work. Iā€™m sure itā€™s something simple and stupid

Triggers are what make the rule "run" and perform the actions--so you can imagine that triggering when turning the lights on and then turning the lights on or off in the actions probably isn't what you want. Rule Machine has changed significantly since its days on SmartThings (it was never part of the platform per se but rather a community app, in case you're thinking of something else?). For an overview of how Rule Machine works now, including the role of triggers and actions, I'd suggest reading the docs first: Rule 5.1 | Hubitat Documentation

For your particular automation, I might suggest starting with Basic Rule. It's a lot easier to set up, and you should be able to figure out what you want. It can be imported into Rule Machine later if you need more flexibility. But your proposed rule isn't too hard to do in RM, either. You'd just want something like:

Trigger: Time is sunset

Actions:

On: Lights
Wait for event: Time is sunrise
Off: Lights

...among other possibilities, including two separate rules with their own trigger that each do this one thing (very likely what you'd had to have done under ST back in those days, though I really can't remember....).

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.