Rule hasn't worked since I made it

Is it right in front of me? Is it a problem with the space in the variable? As you can see, The first variables have gone passed the trigger. The switches never turned on.

I don't see anything that should be a problem, but I'd enable logging on the rule so you can see what (if anything) it's doing when. It's not apparent from this what is setting the variables, but based on your expectations, I assume they are getting increased by a value of 1 any time the values are increased, otherwise it's also possible the sole value that would match the trigger (you have =, not >=) was skipped. Enabling logging on that rule, too--or whatever is changing these--may also be helpful.

Finally, note that either of these values changing to match your trigger will cause the actions to run. Thus, if filterAge = Filter Reminder but that already happened (and the rule already triggered for that), but the value remains the same, then a second trigger for chlorineAge = Chlorine Reminder will also cause that action to run again (i.e., both switches will be turned on). This is probably harmless, as turning on a switch that is already on generally won't generate an event (possibly causing issues with other automations I assume you have based on that), but it's worth noting. If that's a problem, splitting this out into two rules would be simpler and probably less clicking--trigger on filterAge = Filter Reminder, with a sole action of On: Filter, and likewise for the other. (This wouldn't cause this problem; just an observation.)

Beyond that, you may just want to open the rule and hit "Done" to re-initialize event subscriptions in case that is the only problem.

3 Likes

These are all the general thoughts I was having as well. Glad I didn't seem to miss anything obvious.

I turned full logging on. Manually changed variable. Nothing. No log entries at all. hmmmmmm

I even recreated the rule broken down into separate rules for each pair of variables. Turned on logging and I still don't get anything.

@bravenel would there be some issue I am causing by the way I have these variables named?

Not that I'm aware of. However, can't help you without logs.

Yeah and the trouble with is that nothing is showing up with logging enabled. I would assume that that means it's not triggering.

If you manually change the variable to 7, does the rule indicate that the condition is TRUE or FALSE?

And (to me) the trigger seems overly constrained. Why not just trigger on variable *changed* instead of using a condition? The condition is already included in the IF statement and should not need to be checked as part of the trigger.

Last thought... are the variable types the same? Maybe one is a number and the other is a string or decimal?

2 Likes

It does say true. I'll give that a try. Maybe that's the problem.

That did it! Strange. I changed the trigger to variable increased and then manually changed it and the rules fired! Thanks for the suggestions!

1 Like