Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized home automation with Occupancy

thank you.

I started having issues with my time based triggers again. Essentially they stopped turning lights on regardless of whether it was within the specified range of not. For now, I went back to having separate day/night home modes, and specifying for rules to only trigger when in the night mode.

Also, I started having issues with the light in one of my rooms turning off automatically even though the room was still showing as engaged, and I did NOT have the setting for turn off all switches if no rule match turned on. I went back and double checked all my settings, and am waiting to see if it happens again today.

please share the view all settings with Only show settings with value? flag turned on.

I put my settings back how I had it with the time trigger, but I wanted to wait until I was within the -30 sunset to make sure the issue was still happening before I sent my settings. When I went to test it, the lights turned on this time.

On a side note, I did notice something else regarding the other issue I mentioned (rule triggering even though state of room didn’t change). In this case, that means the lights changing from a cool white color (since the tv is on) to a soft White (based on the motion rule). Today I noticed it seemed to happen when my hub changed from Home (Day) mode to Home (Night) mode. This is scheduled to happen 30 min before sunset. There is nothing in that rooms settings that should cause it to happen (as far as I know) but it appears to be doing so anyway. Attached are the logs from when the room decided to change the light color as well as my settings for the room.

ROOM SENSOR SETTINGS:

Motion sensors ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   [Den Motion Sensor]

OCCUPIED SETTINGS:

Motion timeout ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   120 seconds

ENGAGED SETTINGS:

Busy check ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・ No traffic check
Switches ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   [Den Ceiling Lights, Den TV, Fireplace Light, Music, PlayStation, XBOX]

CHECKED SETTINGS:

VACANT SETTINGS:

ASLEEP SETTINGS:

LOCKED SETTINGS:

AUTO LEVEL SETTINGS:

TEMPERATURE SETTINGS:

HOLIDAY LIGHT SETTINGS:

RULE SETTINGS:

Rules:
	1: State=[engaged, occupied] Type=Execution ON=[Den Floor Lamp] Level=100 Kelvin=2700

ADJACENT SETTINGS:

ANNOUNCEMENT SETTINGS:

GENERAL SETTINGS:

Away modes ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・ [Away, Sleep]
All switches off ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・ true
Execute on state ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・ true
Which state ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   occupied
Icon URL ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   https://cdn.rawgit.com/adey/bangali/master/resources/icons/roomOccupancySettings.png

thats called the watching it too closely effect. :smile:

i use time of day all over the place in my own rooms so typically if that breaks its something i notice immediately. but its always possible there is a combo that doesnt quite work right under certain conditions, the issue below is a good example of it. if you run in to the above issue again please dont hesitate to ping me.

think the rules evaluation and execution was triggered by the mode change. i need to add an only on state change check in the mode event handler. :slight_smile:

edit: and done. hopefully will be able to put out the release friday. thank you for reporting the issue.

When in Occupied state if there is sustained motion … trigger Engaged state based on existing busy check setting?

• Automatically trigger Engaged state
  • Do NOT automatically trigger Engaged state

0 voters

Woke up this morning and am having the same issues as before where the lights aren’t turning on even though it’s well before sunrise. Below are my settings.

ROOM SENSOR SETTINGS:

Motion sensors ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   [Living Room Motion Sensor]

OCCUPIED SETTINGS:

Motion timeout ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   600 seconds

ENGAGED SETTINGS:

Busy check ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・ Heavy traffic
Require motion ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   1,800 seconds

CHECKED SETTINGS:

VACANT SETTINGS:

ASLEEP SETTINGS:

LOCKED SETTINGS:

AUTO LEVEL SETTINGS:

TEMPERATURE SETTINGS:

HOLIDAY LIGHT SETTINGS:

RULE SETTINGS:

Rules:
	1: State=[engaged, occupied] From=Sunset To=Sunrise Type=Execution ON=[Bay Window Lights, Living Room Lamps]

ADJACENT SETTINGS:

ANNOUNCEMENT SETTINGS:

GENERAL SETTINGS:

Away modes ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・ [Away, Sleep]
Pause modes ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   [Away, Sleep]
All switches off ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・ true
Which state ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   occupied
Icon URL ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・  ・   https://cdn.rawgit.com/adey/bangali/master/resources/icons/roomOccupancySettings.png

do you mean it works one day then next day it doesnt … but there has been no changes to settings?

Not exactly... I made some changes yesterday that required me to delete the room and start again. I had two motion sensors in my living room, but decided to move one to another part of the house. Even though I removed it from the list of the room's sensors in Room Manager, motion in the new location was still causing the living room lights to turn on. The only way I could get that to stop as to delete the room and start over. This was late last night, and it wasn't until I woke up this morning that I realized the lights weren't turning on in the living room now.

that's strange. every time settings are saved the app unsubscribes to ALL devices then resubscribes to what's specified currently.

let me check that also.

how much offset are you using for sunset and sunrise?

just tried this. it seems to work fine.

can you please try adding the motion sensor back without removing the other one then click done all the way thru to save. then click the i next to the app for that room and check the subscriptions section for which motion sensors are subscribed to.

then remove just the newly added motion sensor then click done all the way thru to save. click the i next to the app and check the subscriptions section for which motion sensors are subscribed to.

what did you find for both cases?

30 min. So it's -30 from sunset, and +30 from sunrise.

also tried the rule with sunset to sunrise … seems to work fine. i tried with sunset - 600 to sunrise + 30.

when checking next time leave live logging on and see if you find similar lines in the logs for the room you are checking. what these lines show is … that on motion … rules were processed … the right rule was found … lights were turned on and off as in the rule.

[app:472] 2018-08-10 11:47:38.662:info test Room: turnSwitchesOnAndOff
[app:472] 2018-08-10 11:47:38.660:debug test Room: processRules: rules to execute: [1]
[app:472] 2018-08-10 11:47:38.659:debug test Room: ruleNo: 1 | fromTime: null | fTime: Fri Aug 10 10:06:00 PDT 2018 | toTime: null | tTime: Sat Aug 11 06:49:00 PDT 2018 | nowDate: Fri Aug 10 11:47:39 PDT 2018 | timeOfDayIsBetween: true
[app:472] 2018-08-10 11:47:38.654:debug test Room: ruleNo: 1 | fromTime: null | fTime: Fri Aug 10 10:06:00 PDT 2018 | toTime: null | tTime: Sat Aug 11 06:49:00 PDT 2018 | nowDate: Fri Aug 10 11:47:39 PDT 2018 | timeOfDayIsBetween: true
[app:472] 2018-08-10 11:47:38.595:info test Room: processRules

thanks.

Although I do not have any logs to verify my event, I've also had two nights in a row, where a child room was executing outside the restriction. The restriction included sunrise. I will leave the logs running tonight and try to capture something. It's a specific room. After I get you some logs, I'm going to nuke it and set it up again.

will wait for the logs. recommend not doing this ... going in and saving the room thru apps resets everything.

also please share the view all settings ... makes it easy for me to recreate.

every vote counts … dont tell me later you hate the feature: :wink:

I won't. As long as it's toggle-able. Is that a word? :rofl:

1 Like

save a room anyone?

tip of the day: want to turn on and off switches on a certain day of the year?

setup a room … then add a rule with the following settings:

• name of the rule
  • from date and to date (make sure hide advanced settings is false on the main settings page)
  • switches to turn on and off

when the rules date condition is met, switches specified in the rule will be turned on and off respectively.

i use a seasons room setup like this to turn on and off season switches spring, summer, fall and winter. you can then do a bunch of stuff that is season dependent.

Oh, nice. With minor alteration this could be used for cloning a room, too.