RoomMe Presence Sensing

I'm interested in their claims about local control and how they are doing this? Just through bluetooth? Really expensive to put these on every entrace/exit. Also my family rarely carries their phone everywhere.

what do you guys think?

Dubious. The video link doesn't work on the site for me, so I'm having trouble discerning the specs, but it appears it requires a smartphone on your person at all times. Not going to work out well.

On home assistant they are working on using the google home's bluetooth for the same purpose on room detection. Based on how phone's tend to sleep or experience battery drain otherwise, I doubt they fully addressed those issues.

I think the need is there, but this implementation wouldn't work for me. I certainly don't carry my phone around with me most of the time when at home...

1 Like

Agreed. The most interesting room presence detection work has been in the area of WiFi signal disruption by human bodies. @iharyadi β€˜s experiments with microwave motion detection is also very intriguing.

Basically anything that can pinpoint objects in a room without have to cart a tracking device is what would win me over. I suppose that passive RFID by way of embedded grain sized β€œtags” is how we will eventually arrive at the personalization, without the need for cameras in the home.

Are there any consumer grade sensors that use PIR and Microphonics? I'm starting to see them in the office building I work in and they are pretty solid.

Bosch has motion sensor line called TriTech. The sensor confirm each other before signaling a motion.

Bosch has Zigbee and Wired version.

DCS may have wired version of this kind of sensor.

I have personal experience with Bosch Zigbee motion sensor. I use it. It works great outdoor. The combination of 2 sensor eliminate false alarm with clouds. I do not think a PIR only sensor can match this performance for outdoor setting. However, it is not an easy sensor to work with. It require range adjustment. I could not get this range right. It also take 6 AA battery that need to be replaced every 6 months. This is why I build my own.

1 Like

did anyone buy this? any good?

Talks about the pros and cons of the system.

I found this too. I'm hoping to find a way to do this with Hubitat. I already have 3 google/nest home devices around my house. I don't move enough when at my desk for motion to be reliable.