Roomba or other

Is it possible to control (On/Off Function) the roomba or xiomi vacuums locally? I'm trying to decide which to buy. I don't mind using their respective native apps for the setup and mapping, but want to use the HE for scheduling.

I have the on/off for the xiomi Working through Alexa using a virtual contact sensor. I have found no other way.

You can integrate through Google Home and control through Google Assistant Relay as well. You do not need to have a google home device to do this.

For a wifi capable Roomba it can be done locally if you’re good with setting up a raspberry pi as a bridge. Would that work for you?

It’s not local, but you could use IFTTT and iRobot to trigger by virtual switch or location.

using a raspberry pi as a bridge would be fine

so it sounds like I will be purchasing a raspberry PI for a bridge. A question to the experts out there. Should I purchase multiple Pies or just a single Pi to run multiple things?

A Pi runs Linux and is capable of running many things. Linux has a learning curve which may be steep.

Ok so tally ho time to learn linux is youtube a good starting place like everything else?

Youtube is a good way to get an idea of the fun ahead. It's a eco system all it's own. I can't speak tutorial myself - I've be using Linux for 2 decades. For 50 USD and a spare monitor it's a learning bargin.

I have 2 Roomba 500 series with IR remotes. Before I switched to HE, I was starting them with Broadlink RM Mini3's. Worked fine, but I wanted local-only. We currently have a beta driver worth following. If an appliance has IR, then a Mini3 is only $24.

Here is an app that will support and control multiple Roombas.

thanks. I'll be using this

Can you let me know if this worked.

Thank you in advance!