Room Lights, Toggle per Mode

I see here and potentially elsewhere there has been discussion around the status maintained in the on/off state of the activator device. I am keen to see any progress on aligning that to what is displayed on the app status.

If I could add to that, and only if there is some developer time being spent in that space, I feel like it would be useful to see the enabled/disabled status of the app also reflected in the activator device as an attribute. I'd be happy for it to be a "custom" attribute not linked any any capability, with the primary use (I expect) being in automation rules. But happy to see alternative ideas of how best to make this available...

okay, so toggling is dependent upon the activator since it stores the state and not the room lighting instance? if that’s the case then simply toggling, turning off and on via the activator makes more sense. so then that just leaves us the need for the option of being able to set the “sub scene” directly regardless of mode.

I need to see very specific documented (with logs) instances in which there is a discrepancy with this. It depends very much on how Indicator option is set. Not interested in anything but results with latest release.

Thanks Bruce, I'll upgrade over the weekend and let you know how it goes.

On my dashboard, when I set the tile type to button for an activator device, I get the following error.
errorjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command 'push' is not supported by device 131. on line 597 (method dashboardCmd)

Use switch type for a tile gives me incorrect behaviour if the tile is in the "on" state, turning off all the lights in the scene.

This issue is blocking me from being able to build any of my dashboards or set up my scene controllers.

I hope I can get to how things were on ST with stateless scenes. I should be able to activate scene A then scene B then back to scene A without the lights going off or multiple button presses.

There is a known bug in some of the drivers, see: Known Issues in 2.3.3.130

Change the driver for the Activator device to Room Lights Activator to get around it. Fix is in the next release.

Okay, so I updated to 2.3.3.130 and the "Activate room lights per mode/period" is a great move forward. However, I need to actually "toggle room lights per mode". By toggle, I mean that if the scene is not active, it activates it. If it is active, it then turns ALL items associated to the scene to OFF.

:thinking:* Perhaps a switch option under the setup of "Activate room lights per mode/period" to "If scene already active, then Turn all scene controlled items to OFF". :thinking:

I need this as my current rule simply toggles scene (Setup by mode) via a single button press. here you can see my original action is toggle,

I am trying to replace this action as it relies on a separate scene. I wish to use the room lighting mode as the scene instead. This would consolidates the many scenes and activators that must be maintained into a single child app.

I don't quite follow. Is there some reason you cannot just toggle the Activator Device? It is a switch, that when turned off turns off all of the lights.

i specifically want (and currently do via standard scenes) the ability to toggle the scene (by mode) independently from the actual mode at the time. the main room lifting activator simply toggles based on the actual mode.

I'd suggest setting up RL scenes without mode. Then use BC/RM to handle the mode logic. As far as toggling goes, you can add conditional logic to the BC app. If the scene is active, then turn the scene activator switch off. Otherwise turn the scene on.

I do defiantly want the room lighting activator to activate the room lighting by mode. this is done using the “standard” operation of a button. in my case, i utilize a zooz zen32 for each room. it’s a great scene controller. the large main button simply toggles the room lighting activator and the rl handles the scene by mode. however, there are instances when i do indeed want a different mode/scene for the room. i currently have 4 scenes setup for each room. and the 4 small buttons toggle the scenes when wanted outside the current mode. as you can imagine, this is indeed a lot to manage in the hub. i view the room lighting as the perfect solution to centrally manage this. after all, it’s called “room lighting”.
this does, however, still require the ability to “toggle” the individuals scenes by mode, outside the root activator (which follows the mode).

There is a new action in Rule Machine that activates a different mode or time period in RL than the current one.

1 Like

And you give me a hard time (sometimes) about crazy combinations/edge/corner cases . :wink:

3 Likes

I have seen this. But i need to be able to toggle (active and also deactivate) not activate only.

i suppose i’m not really getting the justification across. Perhaps i can best describe my use case as utilizing the room lighting mode scenes as a way to instead consolidate ALL scenes for a room in a single room lighting app. when using modes, i am assigning a specific scene to a mode for the room. i’m basically asking for the one additional piece to “toggle” the scenes assigned to modes independently. treating the mode scenes as basic scenes, but consolidated in the single room lighting child app.

an example of why this consolidated approach would be best would be as follows.

i have a room with 4 lights and 4 scenes. i add a new light to the room. i only want that light on for 1 scene. However, If using separate scenes, i must edit 4 scenes to add that single light. and set 3 of those with the light off and 1 with it on.

in a consolidated “room lighting” scenario, i go to the room lighting app, add the light, and select the one mode where i want the light to be on and set accordingly. and by default, the light is off for the other three. saved a ton of time and confusion created by the simple addition of 1 light bulb.

1 Like

@LibraSun,
thanks, but my proposal is what i see as the best of both. I still want the basic functionality of RL that selects the light settings based on mode, but ONLY if activated. I can , and, do achieve functionality for my usage using rules, scenes, scene activators, scene capture devices AND button controllers. and that’s the purpose of my proposal.
I have managed to bring others over from smartthings and they are reluctant to use a lot of automation in HE because it becomes so complicated to manage.
My proposal would make managing room lighting with scene controllers much more simple. With only the need to use a button controller, the room lighting app and its associated activator(s?).
Honestly, my proposal is actually what I thought RL already did and was excited to use it, as it’s a “Room Lighting” app. I was just taken down a notch when I attempted to use it as proposed, as it lacks these abilities.

1 Like

I don't understand what it is you want. From what locus of control do you want to do this toggle?

It seems as though you're saying you want independent "scenes" in a single instance of RL, but are unwilling to make different settings for each device (is this really a burden?). It is only a single mouse click per mode for a device not to be activated in that mode.

I'm not understanding just what it is you want to do that you can't do. Is it that you want a button per mode?

"Toggle"
I want to be able to select "Toggle room lights for mode/period"
Toggle would be "Activate room lights for mode/period" if selected room lights for mode/period are not active, and "Turn off room lights" if the selected room lights for mode/period is active.

"Independent Scenes in RL"
Perhaps? Im not sure of your interpretation of this. I do want to still be able to activate per mode as is already possible. Your addition of "Activate room lights for mode/period" is half of the solution. Equivalent of adding "Turn On room lights per mode" but no ability to "Turn Room Lights off" if the same button is pressed. I tried this in the rules and I can't do an if/then conditional for RL, so that leave me hanging (Unless there is a way? I can't figure it out).

To be abundantly clear, I already manage the addition of a light to a room if I do so, via multiple scene management, and it all works. I am more that willing to do so if its the only option. But, like owning a Swiss army knife, cutting a tree down with one because it happens to have a saw, doesn't me you can't make a better saw since you already have one.

You want to be able to do this for some mode other than the current mode, right?

right.