Room lighting: what do "activating for precapture" and "motion stays over time" in logs mean?

I had a light come on which shouldn't have--a variable under "don't activate when variable is true" was true. In the log, I see "activating for pre-capture" and then "motion stays over time." It then says "activation prevented bv variable," but the light was in fact turned on--apparently by that "activating for pre-capture" thing. I haven't seen that before. What is going on?

I will look into this. You're right, it should not have activated the light.

It has something to do with the 'Restore lights... " feature. It shouldn't "Activate for Pre-Capture, and that appears to be what happened. I will track down why, and get it fixed,.

2 Likes

Thanks. It's happened a few more times, including outside the time limitation set in the rule (0800 to 2300; the light came on at 0230). Sometimes the light turns on for only 10-20 seconds then turns off. The log always says "activating for pre-capture."

I believe this started after I checked off "turn off even if partially off" (which I did because the light didn't turn off when I thought it should have). I do have "restore the lights to the state they were in before activation" checked. Now that I think about it, that is potentially in conflict with the previous setting; I will uncheck it.

Here is the rest of the rule, if it helps:

And here is more log, so you can see it happening additional times:

Looking again at your first set of logs, I don't see any problem there. "Activating for Pre-Capture" means that it was restoring the light to where it was before the prior activation. In the next release that will be changed to say "Restoring Pre-Capture" to make it clearer what is going on. Then, the lights did not activate on the following motion active event, because the Hub Variable was true.

OK thanks. Perhaps I barked up the wrong tree after seeing the word "activating." I'm not sure why the light is coming on, though, and always coinciding with that sequence on the logs. The events list for the light says it was turned on by Lutron Telnet, which doesn't help in tracking down if another rule caused it, although I don't know what that rule would be.

I'll be away from the house for a couple of weeks. I'll delve into it further then.

I appreciate your efforts!

You can see if any other apps are touching that light on its device page. Also, what it is turning on to is the prior setting before activation. Perhaps that's not really what you want for this automation. If you remove that option, the light would turn off.