Room Lighting Notification

I have a Room Lighting app that I use to turn lights off when there is no motion.

I would like to send a message to my phone when this rule turns off the lights.

Can I do this with Room Lighting, or do I have to use Rule Machine?

RL does not have notification support.

You might be able to add an activator to the RL and then trigger the rule on the state changes on the activator device. Might trigger if you just turn off the light manually as well though.

You could also use the Notifications app, super simple to use and will do just what you require in this instance.

1 Like

I want a notification that the rule has turned off the lights. I don’t think the notification app can distinguish between a rule turning off the lights and manually turning off the lights.

It's been my experience that the Activator switch doesn't actually change state when the RL routing is "activated".

I created a dashboard of switches with my activators on it (so I can see which ones are running at any point in time), and they are always listed as "off". Example:

All the switches are "off" even though three of the automations are "active". I haven't tried a conditional check in a RM to see if it is REALLY off or not, but I kinda would have thought the dashboard would reflect the current state of whether it's active or not...

There is options in RL to make the activator work like a classic "group" and you can have it trigger to on for Some On or All On. If that is not enabled the activator may not change states, I have never set one up without one of the group or scene settings enabled.

That was it. It was selecting either of these:

I just never thought to select them as my "group" is actually only 1 device (a wall switch).

#partyOfOne LOL