Room Lighting Motion Sensing Waiting Period?

I've noticed that it seems if you have an activation event tied to a motion sensor in room lighting that there seems to be some sort of cooling off period once the lights are off before the motion can trigger it again. I would expect to see something in the logs showing that the app received the triggering event and ignored it if that was the case but I see nothing in the logs, just no activation. I am curious if this is indeed the case, and if so, how long is the waiting period, and can it be modified?

That likely is more about the sensor itself than hubitat. The sensors often have something like a 2 minute wait before they send any updates. Each manufacturer is different. The hub can only report on what is sent by the sensor.

2 Likes

Good call, but in this instance I'm seeing both of my motion sensors that would activate this room light app reporting motion in the logs, just no handling happening by the app. I will keep a closer eye though as I suspect what you suggest may be the cause in some instances I've noticed.

In that case, do you have activate even if already partially activated set to on? I would think if it is already activated, then it would ignore future activation events unless you have that set to on.

Also, what if anything do you have set as a timer to turn off if inactivity is present? That setting may cause it to ignore anything less than the timeout you have set. For instance, if you have 2 minutes like I do, and motion is detected, it may just reschedule the check for the next 2 minutes. That may or may not show in your logs depending on your logging settings. Your motion sensor device will have different logging settings than the Room Lighting app. So, just because motion is logged doesn't necessarily mean that the Room Lighting has the same logging settings.

Other Activation Settings and Other Turning Off Settings