Room lighting control device

Just don't understand the reasoning of the control device and is there a way to flip it?

I can see now that you can force activate or activate Room lighting from RM but there is no way to do a ON or OFF from the control device if the RL conditions prevent it. The control device should be a group device so again that should work irrespective of the RL conditions right?

If you do a off surely you want to do a OFF and same for ON, else you would have have conditions in front of it so it didn't send a ON/OFF . I can see a button 1 pushed does activate depending on conditions which makes sense, just need a OFF or ON to force a ON or OFF for dashboards ECT.

This is the intentions of conditions, is it not? You can't have it both ways!

Groups didn't have conditions. If you want that functionality, you would need to put the conditions somewhere else, not in RL.

Exactly my point. We been told the activation device works like a group?

So I have lights in a room activated mostly by motion dependent on lux, modes etc. Then you have then option to create a group device from them right?

So then you expect the group device to combine the devices within the app and control them as one so you have a "room group". That's what I would like / makes sense to me to work as. I like that you can activate it as if its a device within RL as well via the button event that is useful.
Colours/ level/ kelvin should also control them as one.

You do have 'room group', but you've layered on conditions on top of that. If you want to ignore the conditions, use RM to turn it on ignoring the conditions. That rule could be triggered by the group device.

I really don't know how else you could expect this to work. Either conditions would never apply to the activation device (that would surprise a lot of people), or the conditions do apply. You're asking for conditions that are ignored when the activation device is used. It seems as though you want a hybrid motion sensor that only activates if illuminance condition is met. That could be done with a rule as well, instead of putting the condition in RL.

personally I cant see why anyone would use the activation device other than turn on or off/ control the lights? How do you use it? If they want conditions it would get triggered directly within RL by motion sensors or modes or via a variable or what ever, its very powerful so why do it else where? If they do then you can use RM to trigger it force it or as another activation with a more complicated rule if needed. That for me ties that all up so then where does the group device come in?
So to me the group device is to see the indication of the devices in the room and manually control them for the edge cases automation can't. So when we go to bed want to turn all the rooms to the OFF state and all the lights ect to now turn off, on my dashboard or GH to know the state of the lights and turn them off just like the old groups did. The difference though from a normal group and this is that the device can tell the app your now OFF or ON ect. Where as control the old motion app out side would give you some oddities like I did a off but the app thinks its on, so next trigger event 5 mins later doesn't do anything because you had a time out of 10 mins so you have to wait for 10 mins of inactivity to reset. All this loss of state is fixed with this app as long as a event from the control device controls the lights.

What have a ON or off trigger a force on or off in the app? seems like that might cause a issue, also seems a bit odd?

The issue with that is the state of the device, the group device is on dashboard and GH ect.

It would be very complicated rule to do what RL does, Its just a motion rule really probably very basic.

example of a bigger room

Try this option for Activate Lights Options / Additional Options: "Activate as Group with ON commands for Activator On". That may or may not solve your problem, but worth a shot.

You actually have a scene, not a group. I think the only other choice would be to add another option about how the activator device is supposed to work, i.e., to ignore or not ignore conditions.

Already got that on them all.

This would do it and you could leave the default as it is now to not break others.

How does it make that decision? is it as soon as you have different light periods?

There is no decision, it just is a fact. A group sets all devices exactly the same, and scene has different settings for different devices. Semantics.

This option will be in the next release.

2 Likes

What will it do, I would like it to just group the lot ON/ off level etc everything irrespective of modes just like a group.

It overrides 'conditions to limit activation' for the activator device activating.

2 Likes

So a On will always On, what about a OFF, sure you said before a off should always off anyway but today it didn't because I had a limit off condition (triggered something to stop it auto detector off as I was having a family meal) then after we finished I wanted it to manually turn off which also released the conditions restoring it to normal operation on the next detector activation.

I only did the Activation option. I suppose there could be a similar one for turning off.

3 Likes

If this

didn't already do this what did it do? or did it do it but it was dependent on the conditions

Conditions were tested prior to that.

Ignoring Conditions for turning off will be added also. Matched set.

4 Likes

@bravenel was this ever implemented?

I don't see the option in RL (maybe I'm blind?)...

I have a similar use case: i need the rules to be disabled for motion lighting under a certain condition which works perfectly, but if we use the activator (through Google Home) it still needs to be able to be commanded directly so we can turn it off/on.

Use case:

• Our living room and dining room are connected in an open floor plan.
  • The dining room lights are controlled via RL and trigger on motion/contact sensors.
  • We press a button on the dimmer (Inovelli Red Dimmer), and the activation is enabled/disabled.
    • This makes it so that we can disable the lights turning on while we're watching a movie in the living room, or so that we can disable the lights turning OFF while we're playing a board game in the dining room.

Problem:
If we disable the automations via RL and someone forgets to re-enable, we still want to be able to use the activator through Google to turn off the lights at the end of the night. (WAF)

I don't know what "this" is.

I really can't tell you without seeing what you have setup now, with identifying what "the dimmer" is.

I'm assuming the option to ignore conditions for ON AND/ OR OFF.

@bennyadams yes the above was implemented but the app is quite clever it only appears if you have a group device and you have conditions in place which would stop the ON/OFF from the group device from working. Then you can go into the app and select ignore conditions for ON and or off

2 Likes

Yes! That's the answer I was seeking, @BorrisTheCat

Thanks for taking the time to respond!