Room light not working as expected

hi all,

I have a room light to turn on 3 dimmers.
I want to trigger it on and off using the SAME zen32 button. very simple and it works.

but...
when I press the zen32 button while one dimmer is ON and the other 2 dimmers are OFF, it has the effect to toggle all dimmers: those that were ON goes OFF and those that were OFF goes ON.

I expect them to go all ON or all OFF regardless of their current state... I mean, of 2 are ON and one is OFF, when I press the button, the 2 that are ON stays and the one that is OFF goes ON.

am I missing something?
again, I have the issue when using the same zen32 button to call it ON and OFF. when using different buttons, no issues

thanks

That sounds like a group, so set you RL app up as a group with the desired group indicator. If they're all Zigbee lights you can also turn on group messaging so that Hubitat will send out a single message to control all the lights.

Turn on description logging on devices and apps. Check to make sure the dimmers are not responding to other apps/rules. You can see what apps/rules control devices at the bottom of the device page.

so I go into "group and scene" create a group for my 3 dimmers?
then create a RL for that group?

all it seems to do is to pre-select all those dimmers for me in the RL.

did I missunderstood your guidance?

thanks for helping!

No, Room Lighting is meant to replace the Groups and Scenes apps. Room Lighting does groups, scenes, scheduling, motion, etc. It ends up being confusing for newer users, but that's the way it is. Create the group in Room Lighting including the activator device. Add the group activator device to your Button Controller app that you use with the ZEN32.

agreed. im confused.
so where do I go to create my group?

all I can find is this:
but items listed in this are either groups or scenes from "groups and scenes"

then here, after clicking "create new RL automation" I dont see any groups...
im sorry, I feel like an idiot.

Room Lighting can import from the older Groups, Scenes, and Scene transitions. If you're starting from scratch just choose new automation.

Fill in the 'Command with Activator Device'. It creates a device in your list of devices and that is what you use in your Button Controller app. One of the submenus under means to activate there is 'Select Indicator Use'. There are 2 choices for groups. Make one.

The help documentation is reasonably comprehensive:

If your lights are Zigbee this is useful:

thanks Bill,

yeah, I have it already set like that
everything works great, except when it's the same button to trigger ON and OFF.

for instance, I have a RL for "basement lights" and 2 zen32 button. one call "basement ON" and the other "basement off" since it's a different button to trigger on and off, I dont have any issues. some light might be ON and some can be OFF, and when I press "basement ON" they all go on.

but I have a single button for "bar" that I want it to turn on or off 3 dimmers. that single button is the mean to turn on and mean to turn off. and that's the issue, all it does is to toggle each dimmers regarless of their states. so if 1 dimmer is on and the others are off, they will individually toggle.

Your last picture is the same scene you posted before. For your bar setup I think you want a group not a scene. Post your Button Controller rule. If you use the group activator device the logic should a simple toggle of the switch from on to off or off to on.

1 Like

awesome! you found it.

I was using "mean to turn on" and "mean to turn off" within the RL. that had the effect of toggeling each individual light.

but if I remove the button from "mean to turn on" and "mean to turn off" and set a button controler to toggle the RL actuator switch. it works!

thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.