Rogue Zigbee Device

I am using a C7 hub with the latest release and having Zigbee issues. I suspect one of my devices has gone bad but I am having no luck finding it. Any suggestions?

Would you describe your Zigbee Issues?

Holy! That's quite a mesh!

I am having issues controlling devices. You will notice a bunch of Unknown devices on the map. It will keep growing like that with Unknown devices being added. It is a badly broken mesh.

1 Like

Generally the advice for an undentified Zigbee mesh issue has been to force a repair by shutting down the hub for more than 20 minutes.

I tried the shutdown and powering off for more than 20 minutes multiple times without luck.

1 Like

Corrupted database?

Rats! Well I see that devices on your map which are directly connected to the hub are showing up as unknown. Are these devices still responsive? Unknown is not an indication of a faulty or unresponsive device.

If you're running a C-8 hub, I understand there is a rebuild network button (I don't own a C-8 so cannot confirm if this is still there).

Some thoughts on what you might examine:

What hub model do you have? What platform build and version number are running? Have you added anything new that might cause interference (i.e. A new router or other device that transmitts on the 2.4 GHz frequency range)? Have you made any changes to the Zigbee channel of your hub or other Zigbee controllers that are close by?

The "Rebuild Network" button is still available (C-8, 2.3.7.145).

1 Like

In other cases where I've see this, the issue was a Zigbee device that the hub didn't know about (because there wasn't a device for it, e.g., in Devices and in the Zigbee Details table) but was on your Zigbee network. This could be caused by previously pairing a device and removing it from Hubitat, but the device didn't get the message. Many do (and will reset when removed from the network), but an odd few don't listen for messages from the hub, and with any device, it won't happen if it's powered off (dead battery or unplugged, for example), out of range, etc., when this happens.

The solution is to find the device and reset it yourself or remove power. Of course, with just the "short"/node ID to go by, that will be a bit of a guessing game. (I don't see a way to get the IEEE address from this, either the graph or the /hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo endpoint that I believe this graph ultimately gets its data from.)

Maybe there are other odd causes of this, too, but that's the only one I know of for sure.

1 Like

Just to note: the Zigbee device graph is not a good indication of the state of your Zigbee mesh. It is built out of small snapshots of parts of your mesh, and never reflects a complete, consistent picture.

Look at the Zigbee Details page.

2 Likes