RM2 Pro + RF signal question

I have an RM2 Pro hub and I've installed driver/app code for hubitat via: [WITHDRAWN] NATIVE Broadlink RM/RM Pro/RM Mini/SP driver & RC HVAC Manager

I was wondering if there was any way to trigger actions on an RF button press/signal. The RM Pro works fine for known IR/RF signals (remote controls, etc) but I would like to extend functionality to include triggering events/scenes from generic RF buttons. I've gotten the button added just fine and can see the code that's being sent, I just can't seem to find a way to trigger off of this signal being received to actually DO something.

Is this really not possible? Or (more than likely) is this just a case of me being rather new and ignorant? Any direction would be appreciated!

Not familiar with the Broadlink hub, but I use a bond bridge to control my shades and a fan that have RF remotes. Sounds like the same issue I can send commands but I can't read back from the device to actually make sure it gets set.

What I do is use virtual devices and HE controls the virtual device and I trigger off of those. When the virtual device changes it sends the command to the bridge to actual set the physical device.

This works pretty well for me, the virtual and physical device can get out of sync but it happens very seldom.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a similar problem, but not exactly the same thing. Maybe if I think about it, I can do something with virtual devices.

My problem is that I want to trigger something (scenes, actions, whatever) from an RF button press. This button isn't tied to a specific device.

The Broadlink let's me send and receive IR & RF signals, but I can't seem to find a way to take the generic RF button press and act on that (though I can manage to detect the press and receive its code) - I just don't have any way I can find atm to tie that code to an action in HE.

I figured once I had it added, I'd be able to see it as a device of some sort or a button/toggle/switch, but as far as I can see it's just a fancy code reader.

I have 433 Mhz RF water sensors, motion sensors, and one Sonoff remote but it takes a Sonos RF bridge and Node Red to use with Hubitat.

If that is an option you would consider, let me know and I will give you more details.

I certainly don't mind added hardware/software. I've heard both names being kicked around so I did plan on looking into them at some point. I thought that the Sonoff bridge and Broadlink RM Pro did roughly the same thing, which is why I hadn't considered it yet. Would your combo also detect a generic 433Mhz signal (not Sonoff)? Maybe Node Red is my missing link?

Either way though, I do think that knowing a bit more about both could certainly help, much appreciated! I don't mind digging through threads if you have some bookmarked if that's easier to point me at rather than typing a bunch of stuff up. Worst case, I can't get the RM Pro to work with Node Red and I pick up the Sonoff bridge instead since that's an already working solution.

RF devices are unlike zigbee/z-wave. Z devices feed back to the hub their states(on/off/etc), where RF devices do not feedback state.
I have an RM Pro using the same driver. I also integrated my RM Pro into home assistant , just because I could and I think HA has greater integration with RMPro, but it would be more complicated
You could try custom attribute in HE, it might work but not sure

or this ?

I have a Tasmotized Sonoff bridge and setup a rule that when it "hears" an RF signal, it sends the device's hex code to MQTT. I have the Broadlink RM Pro but only use it for IR commands. Fortunately, my device's hex codes are only 6 characters.

On the Sonoff Bridge, you set up a rule like this:
Rule1 on rfreceived#Data do publish RFBridge/rfDevices %value% endon

Then, in Node Red, you setup a listener for that MQTT topic that you setup on the Sonoff. In my case, the topic is "RFBridge/rfDevices". The listener node setup looks like this:

Then, for the flow, you just need a Switch Node that sends the signal on based on the RF code that arrived.

I setup a virtual Moisture Sensor in Hubitat for each 433Mhz moisture sensor. The red nodes are Hubitat Command nodes that change the Moisture Sensor to WET in Hubitat. Unfortunately, all of my moisture sensors only send a code on WET. They do not send another signal if they go to DRY.

I also have a Sonoff RF remote. Each button push sends a different hex code and I created another flow to turn lights off/on. It has 8 buttons but I am only using 2 currently. I did use all 8 successfully prior to recent move.

Finally, I have some RF motion sensors that I used successfully at previous house. They only report active though.

Let me know if you need more to get started. I highly recommend Node Red and there is a HUGE thread on the Hubitat integration with it.

Thanks for the idea @Rxich. I tested that out along with a few other variations. Made it as general as I possibly could, but it didn't seem to report back on any changes at all. I may look into HA + RM Pro integration to see if I expect better luck. Otherwise I might just pick up a Sonoff bridge, they seem inexpensive enough.

Thanks @stephen_nutt, that should be plenty to get me off and running once I pick up a Sonoff bridge and plenty of useful examples to walk me through exploring the basic setup in Node Red. I appreciate the assists.

I use a combination of the Broadlink HE integration and the Broadlink Node Red integration. i can't remember why I ended up that way. I use a Command Node for the Broadlink to send the proper IR code to the virtual Broadlink device in HE.

I have a virtual button device w/ 25 virtual buttons in an HE dashboard to control my home theater.

Each one of the Switch Nodes circled in red sets msg.arguments to correct IR code in Broadlink before proceeding to the Broadlink Command Node (red node).

Thanks! I don't have this set up yet, but logically speaking, this feels right. I think that this kind of a setup would bypass the problem that I'm having. I'll be sure to update once I try to get it set up so that anyone reading in the future will know for sure.