RM Question: Condition - Change within a specified time

I have a question on how you would use Rule Machine to implement the following.

Two rooms who's lights are controlled by motion sensors also have large windows who's blinds are controlled by my HE. What I found is that if the blinds open automatically, especially in the morning in the winter, the motion sensor is tripped and the light turn on. So, in webCoRE I was able to get around this by using the condition that the blinds level had not changes in the last 10 seconds.

20-16-31-28

However, I can't seem to find a similar condition in RM. The blinds in this case show up as a regular dimmer. Is there a way to set this up that I'm not seeing? I welcome your ideas.

Assuming you get an event from the blinds, you could use that to disable the rule fired by motion for 10 seconds, then re-enable it.

1 Like

When you say "get an event from the blinds" do you mean something logged under the device for events?
Yes, I see the level change there. And how exactly would you set that up? I'm still not clear on how you would set up something just "changing" and not necessarily a specific change in Rule Machine. And how would you disable and re-enable? Through private boolean?

Show the device events for the blinds. Yes, you could use Private Boolean.

Trigger:

Trigger event: dimmer > 0 (for blinds dimmer)
Action: set PB of motion rule to false, set PB of motion rule to true after 10 seconds

And you would need the Restriction in the motion rule for disable with PB.

Wait...how do you do one action immediately and one action delayed within the same rule? I've been trying to figure that out since day#1. I think I could get the rest of it.

When you say restriction....you mean Private Boolean, not Push Button...right? Just wanted to double check.

Oh, and no, the motion sensor doesn't have illuminance but also, the light isn't bright enough through the windows to not have the lights come on normally. It's just that they trigger the motion sensor if the room is cold. I didn't see this problem in the summer.

Setting PB has an optional delay, but it's only for minutes, not seconds (and it doesn't display the delay setting -- bug). The other way is to use an Action, and put the delay in the Action, run the Action from the trigger.

I will fix that bug, and add seconds to the delay options.

1 Like

Okay, but I'm still confused. Sorry. How do you set the PB to false and then back to positive after after a delay? Do you have to have two separate rules? Or a rule and then a command that other rules can fire?

Create an Action in RM.

Action: Delay these actions 10 seconds, set PB of motion rule to true

Then the trigger would be:

Trigger event: dimmer > 0 (for blinds dimmer)
Action: set PB of motion rule to false, run action above

1 Like

Okay, I will give that a try.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.