Turn on Switch: Garage Door Opener
Wait 5 mins, then turn off
OR
If anyone is home
And
Door 1 is open
turn on Switch: Garage Door Opener
Wait 5 mins, then turn off

As you can see, my garage door is only activated for 5 mins when someone arrives or if someone is already home and enters the garage from the house. Otherwise my garage door opener wonā€™t work

Thoughts?
Rick

To get started just make two rules until you get the hand of it. You can remove the presence condition from the second rule, if no oneā€™s home the doors not going to open itself, unless you have super talented petsā€¦

1 Like

Hey Mike,

The reason for the presence in the second section is this, if someone broke into the house, they wouldnā€™t be able to open the garage door for easy access and exit

How do you suggest I code for this?
Rick

put a restriction in each rule using only when mode is home, then implement all the modes you want.

I had my garage door opener plugged into a plugin appliance module and set it to turn off when away, this was in a rule that turned off all the lights ect when everyone leftā€¦

Wouldn't you want the thief to get out the house quick and away from your family members? Maybe a couple of sirens would be a better option.
Like @mike.maxwell, I use a Z-Wave plug for my garage power as well and when in sleep or away mode. The switch is off.

Actually Mikes example is better. When away, if someone breaks into our cars in the driveway, they canā€™t open the garage door. When we arrive, the power is on for 5 mins. If we are home, power is still off unless we open a door, then power is on for 5 mins, again our cars canā€™t open the door

I canā€™t seem to wrap my head around this

Any help on designing this would be appreciated

Rick

Have a look at Presence Central
This is the kind of thing I wrote it for
Can also do things if people are present/away at certain times....
You might find it useful

Andy

This didnā€™t work this way for this RM rule. I was at home so my presence didnā€™t change but the music started playing at 12:00pm. Really freaked me out!:flushed:

I only want this to happen if I come home. How would I do this?

The way your rule is written, either Jane becoming present during the time window or the time window starting while Jane is present will cause the rule to evaluate as true and the actions to run.

What you want is a trigger of Jane becoming present with a time restriction.

Ah I see. So a trigger rule. I will try that. Thanks!

For clarification...just a Trigger. Move the time window into the restriction section.

That's not true. She has an AND between the two. Both conditions will have to be true for the True action to take place if it has previously been negative. The rule evaluates a lot, whenever conditions change. But actions only take place at transitions from True to False or False to True. Not every time a condition changes.

If you want the music to play when you arrive home between time x and y then yes, use a triggered rule. The trigger will be presence changing to Present and the condition of the rule will be the timeframe. Then list all your actions under true.

Read my post again.

Okay....sorry, got caught up in your wording....took me a few times but I got it.

My point is, coming from webCoRE people are caught up by trigger and conditions. I was too...for a long time. What's more important to RM is the change from True to False. If the statement is true and something happens to cause it to remain true, nothing will happen. The true thing won't be executed again. So, a focus more on the truth transitions would make the transition form webCoRE to RM easier I think.

1 Like

She can use either a triggered rule or a trigger with restrictions in this case. Since there is no desire to have a False action I was thinking trigger with restrictions would be easier, but either would work.

See, I would have voted for a Triggered Rule. For some reason, seeing the "RESTRICTED" on my apps screen just gives me the willies. All a matter of personal preference.

One of the last webCoRE pistons I want to move to Rule Machine controls when a "fake people at home" light turns off. In the summer I want it to turn off so many minutes after sunset but in the winter I want it to turn off around 9:30. I'm in the NE, so a few hours after sunset is only 5pm in the winter. So, I'm going to have to play with the Between Two Dates Restriction. Testing that that works correctly is going to be pain in the butt! I'm still not clear if the dates are inclusive or exclusive. I think only testing will be definitive.

1 Like

I have gone with the Trigger with Restriction and I will see how that goes. I am with @Ryan780 on the WC stuff. It has been interesting changing over pistons to RM. Learning alot though. I actually really like RM! Once you get your head around it! About 2 weeks ago I looked at it and thought OMG this is so confusing and went about bringing my pistons over from ST to HE. But then I decided to give it a try because I wanted to keep everything HE. I am very happy with how things are going so far. I have discovered though that when I group HUE lights, they are delayed when coming on with a Rule. Once I select the lights individually they come on almost instantly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.