RM 4.0 Rule Questions and Optimizations

Forget about %now%. There is a condition called Time Of Day. It tests if the current time is between two times. So for your case, you just test if the time is between 8:30 and 8:30, or 4:00 and 4:00, or 9:30 and 9:30. No need for %now% or a variable at all.

All in one rule, if that's the way you want it.

I hope you follow that if the rule is triggered at 8:30, the time of day is between 8:30 and 8:30.

OK, that makes sense and yes, that works too. That's how I did it in the first place back in post 111.

I was just trying different things I guess. I do very few time based triggers. My only reason for posting above was to see if there was an easier way to do it in 1 rule with multiple time triggers without the "time betweens", as they get a little tedious to make.

I've now done it 3 different ways that ALL WORK. So that's pretty cool. Rule 4.0 has been working out quite well for me.

You could use Days of Week Schedule instead as triggers, and simplify the test for which day it is. One Days of Week would give you Sat/Sun at 8:30 and Mon-Fri at 4:00.

Hey, that's nifty, too. I'd never used the Days of Week Schedule before. Just took a look, and you're right, that is yet another way to do it!

It autofills the second set of days for you, makes it clearer when you read the rule what's going on, and has fewer tests in the actions.

Here is a dopey question. If I use the same time for "time between" (as you indicated above) it always says it is true... If I use two different minutes, it correctly shows false.

Shouldn't the other two shown below show false as well? Or should you always make sure the minutes are different?

Not a big deal, as it is just as easy to make time between 8:29 and 8:31 as it is 8:30 and 8:30... Just asking.

Let me look at the code.... I thought it was inclusive of the two endpoints, but I'll check.

Update: Yep, that's a bug. I'll put in a fix for it so that it works correctly for the start and stop time being the same minute.

No worries.

So here is the rule as it sits now. I think of the 4 ways I tried it, this is the cleanest looking.

You could simplify it even more:

IF (Time between 8:29 AM and 4:01 PM) On: Elliptical
IF (Time between 9:29 PM and 9:31 PM) Off: Elliptical

True. But the shutoff time is the same on all days. If it’s not 9:30 pm, the only other choices are times you want it turned on. It will only be triggered at the three times you specified in the trigger events.

Ok, this is it for today. I have other toys I need to play with. :smile:

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem getting a simple repeat to work correctly. I've tried it 3 different ways and still nope...

If you post a copy of your rule, we could help you get it working.

Thanks! I got my answer here actually (in case anyone else is searching too), wasn't triggering the rule correctly. Rule Machine - This is Frustrating the Heck Out of Me

@bravenel s it possible to set a bulb colour based on a variable or based on another devices attribute?

Yes. Hue, Saturation and Level of a color bulb can all be set from a variable. A variable can be set from any device attribute you want, and hence so could colour be using a variable as intermediary.

Sorry I mean the opposite - I have a number in a variable, and I want to use it to set the hue of a colour bulb

Yes, that works.

I must be being stupid - I can't find where to do it. If I go to set colour there is no from variable option

Just put %variable-name% into the field where it asks for the Hue value. This will work for most numeric value input fields in RM.