Ring Range Extender (2nd gen)

Hmm.. wouldn't on my c7

Mine didn't work on my C5, which didn't ask about pairing with security. When I paired with the C7 it asked and I said none. It switches almost immediately to battery when unplugged. Just checked again using the Hub Z-wave mesh details tool and it is paired with no security.

2 Likes

What version of firmware is on your device?

Version 1.11

I was kinda hoping you had an updated firmware...

I did some more testing, and you are correct. My prior statement was incorrect.

A (more) correct statement is "Without having completed an S2 negotiation, even if the negotiated result is no security, the unit will not emit on power change." This means that it will not operate properly with a C5 regardless, but will with a C7 in insecure mode.

Overall, I view this as yet another firmware bug in the Ring. I had tried to reach out to Ring some time back about another bug with the unit (transmit power), but received no response. I don't know if these issues will ever be addressed in the gen2 unit--perhaps the gen3 version... :slight_smile:

FWIW, I don't use the Ring gen2 range extenders in my production network any more. Mostly this is due to having replaced the antenna on the hub, but in the very few places I still need an extender I use the Aeotec range extender because of it's higher transmit power. I do still have the Ring on my test network.

I just bought and set up a Ring 2 extender for power outage detector on my C5 hub not realizing this issue. I have worked around it by doing a "refresh" command every 5 minutes as that pulls in the updated status of mains or battery. I then have a hub variable for power outage status and alerts for power lost/restored. Seems to work fine but, as this is still returnable, I'm wondering if there's a better device option for outage alerts. I don't necessarily need an extender so it can be any device that plugs in and either has a battery or a method that allow hubitat to see that it's offline within a few minutes.

There are other Z-Wave devices that report mains vs battery... but rather than finding / selecting / testing one, you might find it beneficial to upgrade the C-5 to a C-7 or C-8 instead.

Hmm...I guess I'll have to look into the benefits. I'm pretty much all Zigbee so I didn't bother with the C7 upgrade. Haven't looked into what the C8 adds.

Every 5 minutes, I ping a device that I have assigned a static IP to (Harmony Remote Hub). Since it doesn’t have a battery, if the ping fails, it means it is not connected to power. As a backup, I ping a second device, just to confirm.

Edit: my router, HE etc are on a UPS. The Harmony Hubs are the few devices that don’t have a battery and are not on a UPS.