Ring Outdoor Contact Sensor Pairing

I had one that pairs fine and one that wont and when it does pics up as the motion sensor

After re pairing...

dev:19892022-06-26 07:41:49.518 pm warndescription logging is: true
dev:19892022-06-26 07:41:49.517 pm warndebug logging is: true
dev:19892022-06-26 07:41:49.516 pm infoupdated...
dev:19892022-06-26 07:33:24.451 pm infofingerprint mfr:"0346", prod:"0C01", deviceId:"0301", inClusters:"0x5E,0x59,0x85,0x80,0x70,0x5A,0x7A,0x87,0x72,0x8E,0x71,0x73,0x9F,0x6C,0x55,0x86,0x84"
dev:19892022-06-26 07:33:24.447 pm debugbuilding fingerprint for unknown Z-Wave device...
dev:19892022-06-26 07:33:22.432 pm debugconfigure() called...

1 Like

So started from Scratch on this contact sensor

Here is my update and hoping someone can help. I have 3 of these sensors.

The first one paired with no problem, though I don't know how long I held down the button. Once the inclusion was started, the timer would stop at about 88 seconds then sit there. Luckly I was googling how to do this for long enough and when I turned around the "name this device screen was up. I went into the device settings and chose "Ring Alarm Contact Sensor G2" as the type*. It worked great. Though I had paired it right next to the Hubitat, so I had to do a Z-wave "repair" when I moved it out to the yard.

Sensor 2 gave me a little more trouble getting it into pairing mode, and again, I don't know how long I pressed the orange button to have success. This one worked eventually. It took about 10 minutes though before the name of this device screen would show. I went into the device settings and chose "Ring Alarm Contact Sensor G2" as the type*. This sensor though, didn't start updating is status for another 10 minutes, but seems to be working now.

The third sensor is being a butt though. I've gotten it into pairing mode twice, but always ran into issues. I've master reset it (reset button 10 seconds so that the light turns red). Now, no matter how long or short I press the orange button I can't get in to enter the fast blinking mode. It's stuck on 3 blinks.

A few times I've seen the inclusion timer stop and a message appears asking to do secure to not secure. On the first 2 sensors, I just ignored it.

HA! And now I'm trying the same thing with the normal indoor G2 contact sensors. Pressing and holding the green blinking button for 3 seconds (or 10, 20, 30) is not making it blink fast. I've installed 20 of these things in the past, all from the same order and now goblins are messing with my install! Weird.

Another update. I've better understood what the videos from the non-outdoor sensor conversation show, but I'm still not getting consistent results. I factory restore it, then take the batteries out for 10 seconds. When I put them in I immediately start inclusion then quickly hold the button for ~3 seconds. I got 3 devices working in a row, now can't get the last. Also some devices, once added, don't update their status. They are either extremely slow or only work once (in same room as Hubitat, not far away).

@user4829 I have 3 of these sensors. Honestly, the best way to pair it is factory resetting it (check for ghosts in your z-wave details page) Then using Smart Start inclusion. Even if your phone is just sitting there "waiting" give it 5 mins and it will appear in your device list (or z-wave details page) They are a great unit. I went through a similar hassle with classic inclusion with these.

In the past, I have 5 included on my C8 hub. No problems. Today I got a 6th one. No matter what I tried (except Smart Start) I could not include it. I took it to my C7 hub. Included in seconds. Excluded it from the C7 and back to trying to include to the C8. I did a factory reset each attempt but all I would get was "Found z-wave device. Initializing". The very first time this happened I had a ghost device that I removed. The following include attempts gave the same message but no ghost devices appeared.

Thank goodness I found this thread. I tried the Smart Start and viola, after several minutes it was included (with S2 security which I didnt ask for). What confused me about this method I had no idea which hub (I have 1 c8, 2 c7s) the device was included to. Lucky for me it was the C8

The ring stuff pairs better with smart start. My contact sensors never quite worked right with normal pairing.