Ring Motion Detector Gen 2 won't pair

@bcopeland I have added my g2 sensor with the smart start option after force excluding it - normal exclusion didn’t take in HE even though the green light ring started blinking.

I did this because I don’t remember ever being asked for the DSK code when I added it originally and want to be sure I’m utilizing the security the device provides.

SmartStart process - not very clean:

• Changed security settings to have the last 3 boxes checked for the grant settings and S2 boot mode selected - unfortunately didn’t read this post and didn’t re read the smart start instructions for HE
  • then I deleted the device from the smartstart provisioning list - accepted the warning and did not check HE devices yet
  • added back using smart start - scanned QR code - left security keys the same this time.

Now, device is still in pending status in the smart start provisioning list but the motion sensor is showing in HE devices and seems to be capturing motion properly.

I still haven’t been asked for a DSK at this point.

• Any thoughts on what I might need to do to get the security working correctly?
  • How do I know if it is operating with appropriate security (eg. S2).

Pics attached for context.

Thanks for any help!

By using smart start you don’t need to enter this as it was part of the qr code you scanned.

That’s an odd one that I’ll check into.. It is safe to delete from the provisioning list once it has been included..

I also see from the last screen shot it has been included with S2 properly.

1 Like

It’s always done that, I just delete it after it pairs.

2 Likes

Great! Thanks for the quick feedback. I thought that the s2 tag on the device data was a good confirmation but I guess I was just expecting something to pop up to confirm the addition when it got added.

Also thanks for checking pending piece of this puzzle. As of now (just checked again) and it's still showing as not included, pending with nothing assigned to the name field.

This is actually the part that caused the most doubt that I did it properly. But your confirmation of the data is helpful. Thanks again!

Interesting. Glad to have your insight as I have met added many s2 devices, but I’m waiting on a s2 Schlage lock and want to be sure I am confident in the process when it gets here.

Thanks!

1 Like

I tend to believe that 1 is more sensitive than 4. It just seems like when i have it set to 4 i can dance around and it eventually picks up motion, 1 seems to be the quickest for me.

1 Like

1 is the highest sensitivity, 4 is lowest. On 4, mine wouldn't do anything until i was about 2 or 3 feet away. On 1 I can trigger it walking by the doorway in the hall. Also, my cats set it off. It's backwards from my other motion sensors where the higher the number the more sensitivity.

1 Like

@bcopeland curious if there have been any changes (planned or implemented) to the Zwave smart start feature? I’m still getting pending status on every device I have.

The real issue uncovered is ghost devices.

When tapping on the device after awhile in SmartStart to verify the auth protocols, pressing ‘save’ caused multiple devices. With the same DSK to show in pending status and nothing had been added to the devices menu on HE browser UI. So I tried deleting the SmartStart card, then adding the device manually. Nothing worked there either.

I could not get the brand new sensor to pair via HE devices>Add device>Z-wave>Start inclusion. Even after trying to exclude the device, factory reset, even putting the device right next to the hub. No luck.

Then looking at Zwave details I noticed there were 2 devices, both showing errors on the device list. Both were for the same sensor. Luckily I was able to remove both of them, factory reset again, and started over

I tried SmartStart again and the device finally paired and still works as expected one week later, even in the remote location with mains-connected devices (2 Zooz dimmers, 1 minoston plug, and T6 thermostat) in between.

However, the SmartStart ‘card’ for the device is still showing as not included,pending

And when I tap on the device to see more details, then press save I get duplicates again which contributed to the ghost device problem.

It’s slightly annoying since documentation states it should be providing device details once the item is paired with the hub. I like the idea of having all of my s2 devices showing their connection status on the easy to navigate cards in the SmartStart menu.

Any explanation you can think of why this is happening? Is there any resolution?

I have been curious, because on the Ring Motion sensor box it claims it has PET sensitivity settings. I'm fairly certain a large dog could walk by on "4" and motion not be detected. Like you my cat and he's a chunk will set off the motion sensor sometimes when I'm set on "1"

If our choices are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.
0 ?
1 -is very sensitive (Mr. Kitty sets it off)
2 ?
3 ?
4 - not sensitive ( do jumping jacks and maybe get caught)

Has anyone tried it on 0? or 2?

Unless i'm missing something these definitely do NOT have pet sensitivity settings. My dogs and cats trigger them all the time. My 13 pound cat will trigger the office lights if I leave the door open. In the Family room I have a rule to set the can lights to 13% when that sensor activates. If we put the dogs out in the middle of the night, the dogs running ahead of us are enough to trigger it and set the can lights before we get out of the bedroom. Actually works rather nicely.

Now if that pet sensitivity comes in at the lower sensitivity nunbers (3 and 4), you give up to much in exchange for that pet neutrality.

On 4, even I (6'4", 350ish pounds) will not trigger these sensors until i'm about 2 feet away.

Currently I have 2 of the ring gen 2's in service, and I believe both are set to 2 on sensitivity. Seems to be a decent balance. When I was looking at them alot of review complaints were that they were very short range. I have to assume those people had it set on 4. That would make sense. On 1 or 2 , they trigger from a good 15 -25 feet away.
I may try 3 and see if possibly that's the sweet spot.

Another observation, they don't work through glass. In my office it replaced a Zooz ZSE18. That would trigger all the time if someone passed the office door (french doors), even if it is closed. The rings will not trigger if the door is closed (added benifit, keeps fat chunk out of the office). The rings have a better angle on the door than the Zooz did.

All things considered, i'm very happy with them and expect to add more in the near future.

Edit
I'll add, I don't know how sensitive 0 is, but given how sensitive 1 is I have to assume just looking at it will trigger it.

Me to, but they do include. Just not with any information you put in when you did the smart start process (they show up in your device list with generic device info), and they never update in the smart start app that they have successfully included. Annoying yes, and they should fix it. However knowing that, I can live with it until they do fix it.

1 Like

Regarding range:

Can confirm. I have 4 of the gen 2’s in service and was able to spread them out more, 2 allowing mostly- full coverage of about 700 sqft with one above the front door (corner mounted) and the other on the far back wall in the living room, also corner mounted.

Agreed, Rings documentation provides the pet ‘solution’ as simply reducing the sensitivity setting as well. This is not useful since the range is greatly reduced at 3-4 sensitivity.

@lcw731 have you tried using the zone Motion app? I have had success with the ‘False motion detection’ option that requires 2 or more motion sensors to activate within a defined time period before activation of the virtual ‘mZone motion sensor’ can occur. I mainly use this option for HSM so I don’t get a ton of notifications when we’re away.