Ring Motion Detector Gen 2 won't pair

configChanged is a mistake.. I’ll remove that, I use that for sleepy devices to know when they wakeup to apply config changes. And this device is FLiRS.

What do you have your sensitivity set to? 4 is the max and that’s what I have mine set to.. While these aren’t the most sensitive motion sensors I have used, they do work for me.

thanks for the response bcopeland. The sensor is completely unresponsive now. How do I exclude it and try to re-add it?

Also, when I added it, the security thing popped up and asked me to put in the DSK. Was I supposed to leave it as-is with the default and put the 5-digit code in?

Thanks!

Yes.. please.. these ring devices are very temperamental if they don't get the security they want..

Excluding it you have to use the pinhole that is only exposed after opening the battery compartment..

Thanks for the pointer @bcopeland!

@btomasie mine are both working just fine (1 included via classic and 1 via SmartStart), but I also have not needed to change the sensitivity at all.

1 Like

@bcopeland I'm just getting started with my C-7, and I'm about to add 10 of these Ring Gen2 motion sensors (brand new, never included anywhere else). Can you recommend any best practices for including these? Is one of the above methods better than the other?

You can use smart start or classic inclusion.. I prefer classic.. Just press the button for ~3 seconds after you start inclusion on the hub.

Note of caution with ring devices.. Don’t change any of the security grants, just click ok.. Ring devices won’t operate properly without the security levels they expect.. So have your DSK pin ready

3 Likes

Ah. Thanks! I've never added a device with security before...is the DSK # on a sticker on the sensor?

Yes.. it is usually accompanied by a QR code that is used for smart start inclusion, but all you need is the 5-digit number.

Well, pairing went super smoothly last night, but I noticed that on sensitivity level 3 and 4, it was almost completely unresponsive. I could dance in front of it forever and after some random amount of time it'd register motion. Changed it to level 1 and it works great! Very strange.

Having some odd issues with a couple of these now (no "motion" section in Current states). What's the exclusion process for these?

Ring Motion Sensor Gen 2 manual

Exclusion process is on page 5

Thanks!

Have you had issues with these getting stuck on "active" status? Tested several today, and they all refused to update their status for 30+ minutes.

I'm having the same issue (with contacts as well). @rob9 found a solution here: [2.2.4.158 C7] Ring Contact Sensors Not Updating Status Reliably and it works for extenders and contact sensors. I'm unsure how it may resolve for the motion detectors. I'll try popping mine off the wall and power cycling to see if that helps.

I use mine on 1 right now. Trying to find the most sensitive I can get them without cats triggering motion.

1 Like

I have just got a few of these up and running. It seems like they don't have much range and take forever to change between active and inactive. I have sensitivity set on 4, I'm assuming this s the most sensitive. Is there anything else I can do to improve the performance of these?

Nothing you can do to change active to inactive timeout as far as I know. It is only like 20s though, not that crazy of a timeout. Obviously if there is continued/continuous motion you don't get the "inactive" reading until 20s after motion stops, though.

I run all my Ring G2 Motion sensors on sensitivity=1... And they STILL trigger immediately when the 10lb cats go in the room. Very sensitive in my installs.

EDIT: Actually it looks like zwave param 5 might change the active/inactive clear interval. I didn't test it though. You could use the basic zwave tool and try to change it if you really want to.

@bcopeland I have added my g2 sensor with the smart start option after force excluding it - normal exclusion didn’t take in HE even though the green light ring started blinking.

I did this because I don’t remember ever being asked for the DSK code when I added it originally and want to be sure I’m utilizing the security the device provides.

SmartStart process - not very clean:

• Changed security settings to have the last 3 boxes checked for the grant settings and S2 boot mode selected - unfortunately didn’t read this post and didn’t re read the smart start instructions for HE
  • then I deleted the device from the smartstart provisioning list - accepted the warning and did not check HE devices yet
  • added back using smart start - scanned QR code - left security keys the same this time.

Now, device is still in pending status in the smart start provisioning list but the motion sensor is showing in HE devices and seems to be capturing motion properly.

I still haven’t been asked for a DSK at this point.

• Any thoughts on what I might need to do to get the security working correctly?
  • How do I know if it is operating with appropriate security (eg. S2).

Pics attached for context.

Thanks for any help!

By using smart start you don’t need to enter this as it was part of the qr code you scanned.

That’s an odd one that I’ll check into.. It is safe to delete from the provisioning list once it has been included..

I also see from the last screen shot it has been included with S2 properly.

1 Like

It’s always done that, I just delete it after it pairs.

2 Likes