RGBW Strip Lights - any difference?

I have a couple of cheap-o "phopollo Led Strip Lights Color Changing 16.4ft Flexible 5050 RGB Led Lights" that I'm using Zigbee controllers with. In all, I'm happy. However, whenever the color called for is "yellow" they just can't render yellow well. Is this true of all of these LED strips or is it worth upgrading to another one for better color rendition. Other than yellow, I think they are fine. And I was assuming that all of the RGBW strips were coming off the same assembly line but maybe there's a difference?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Jay

I have two Sengled LED light strips. They work well in my limited experience. This is my yellow.

RGB strips will vary, there are some that definitely have better quality than others. I have such a mix now that it is tough to tell which is which... but yellow can be a bit tough for RGB because of it having to mix the R and G to get yellow. Especially if you are looking directly at it without a diffuser to help mix it.

I only use yellow in one spot: I have two strips to highlight whether I am working and can be bothered. They are green if I am on lunch or something where the kids can walk right in, yellow when working and they should knock first, and red when I cannot be disturbed. The one outside my door is a "generic" RGB one and I found that setting it to something closer to orange produces the best "yellow" for it. Inside the room I have a segment from a Sylvania RGBW Flex Strip and that one does a pretty decent yellow off the bat.

RGBW include a separate white chip in addition to the RGB and likely will not help with yellow at all (most controllers treat the W as totally separate and do not use it for mixing colors, my Sylvania does not for example).

So... long story short, they can vary quite a bit. The controller CAN influence it (I find my Zooz RGBW controllers to do better with specific colors than the generic ZigBee ones I have, my GLEDOPTO ones are pretty decent as well). But you can also try playing around a bit with the color because sometimes it will produce something more what you are looking for than just using the generic settings.

I'm using GLEDOPTO zigbee controllers. I should have included a picture. My yellow is straight up green. @Pantheon's lights look pretty green too tbh. I use a strip around my office door to tell me the temperature outside using a scale of deep blue (zero degrees) to deep red (> 90 degrees).

I've tried messing with different options, but yellow seems unobtainable with these strips anyway.

But you're right. Orange does look pretty yellow. Now I'll need to find something that looks like orange. :slight_smile:

I've had more than one off-brand strip lights - side by side the color yellow can look radically different. Not just yellow either - whites are always funky and blue / teal are sometimes a kick.
One major problem consumers overlook is the differences RGB vs RGBW induces. Most of my original 'cheap' strip lights were RGB and they had the most deviation - as I added/swapped/and upgrade to RGBW many/most of my base color issues ended (the factory colors/pre-driver).

I wrote a big document once on the differences between color name tables of Google, Alexa and HE. All 3 use different names - when you add that to the discrepancies it goes to he77 quick.
I submitted a feedback suggesting HE create a variable option to allow the user to pick their standard but it got no traction. (I don't think anyone studied it as hard as I did..)
in the end I customized all my RGB drivers and built my own color tables - from CT values on out to names.
One of my strip lights, for example comes with a remote controller with 32? buttons on it and you can select the factory colors without interaction from any HE or driver - check your colors first direct at device, then in your driver affect a 'shift' change to handle the adjustment. Like printers in the old days where we had to tweak the offsets - or the temperature value skew in a driver - same thing here. set your tweak offsets to get the factory colors as close as possible first, then set your name tables to mimic your favorite CT table. I mean, who calls a bulb color "electronic" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Here's my base CT table as an example

@Field static Map colorTempName = [
        2051:"Candlelight"
        ,2450:"Sunrise"
        ,2750:"Warm White"
        ,3050:"Soft White"
        ,4050:"White"
        ,5550:"Daylight"
        ,6550:"Cool White"
        ,20000:"Polar"
]
1 Like

My hall light that needs to be more orange is on a GLEDOPTO. However the GLEDOPTO USB one I have does a decent yellow to begin with. Oh well.

Trial and error a bit it appears.

I love that you put that much effort into it. Many years ago I was a programmer writing GUI programs under the X-Windows system. X had its own definitions for the RGB values of colors. Nothing like trying to remember burlywood3 and cornflower blue and spring green 4 etc.

Probably because, as noted when you asked, this does not affect actual color rendering, names used by voice assistants, names used by predefined color pickers in apps, or really anything other than the value of the (calculated from hue and saturation or color temperature, but otherwise basically read-only) colorName attribute in the UI.

Thus, the effort is not worth it for most people. :slight_smile: Lights do, indeed, vary, and perhaps this could be tuned for some know to consistently differ. But the reward for that effort just isn't there IMHO.