RGBW Smart Bulbs

Anyone on here using the Inovelli Illumin bulbs?

http://inovelli.com/products/bulbs-ilumin/

Just wondered how you like them, etc.

I'm thinking about getting some. I like how they have the ability to remember the state they were in, so in case of a power failure if they were off, they won't come blasting back on when the power is restored. I have a pair of the Sylvania Lightify+ bulbs right now and they do not do that, which can be annoying.

I like them.. I have 27 installed..

2 Likes

I have a great driver for them too :wink:

3 Likes

Agree with @bcopeland. I have 10 of them and they are great. The driver mentioned above is great! I had Zigbee bulbs for about 3 years and had nothing but problems. I switched to these and they have been solid.

1 Like

Is that driver something I should have installed on my hub BEFORE I pair the bulbs with it? Or does it not matter?

1 Like

It doesn’t matter.. But if you don’t have it before.. Just hit configure when you switch drivers

@Eric_Inovelli
Any plans to add a color BR30 to the selection of bulbs?

Excellent question -- it's on our roadmap for sure. However, they will likely be zigbee to start as the manufacturer does not have a Z-Wave version and it will take some time to develop this as the 700 Series chip requires a specific tweak for smart bulbs to be compliant with California's LED law (I can't remember, but I think it's Title 20). I think Silicon Labs projected the chip will be ready later this year.

2 Likes

California is so weird sometimes.. I'm actually curious now.. trying to find what in the world they could have a problem with LEDs for..

As I understand it, California now has to give approval on energy efficiency before a lighting product is sold in the state. Then, there is also the fact that lab mice that eat LED bulbs will get cancer. :rofl:

2 Likes

Well almost everything is “known to cause cancer in the state of california”

3 Likes

California is so weird sometimes.. I'm actually curious now.. trying to find what in the world they could have a problem with LEDs for..

I think the problem could be the standby power: must be 0.2W or less.

Title 20 Section 1605.3(k)(2) State standards for non-federally-regulated appliances: Lamps: State-regulated LED lamps.

(A) State-regulated LED lamps with lumen output of 150 lumens or greater for E12 bases, or 200 lumens or greater for E17, E26, and GU24 bases, and manufactured on or after January 1, 2018, shall meet all of the standards shown in Table K-9 and shall have the following:

1. A color point that meets the requirements in Table B1 of Annex B of ANSI C78.377-2015 for color targets and color consistency.
  2. A CRI (Ra) of 82 or greater.
  3. Individual color scores of R1, R2, R3, R4, R5, R6, R7, and R8 of 72 or greater.
  4. A power factor of 0.7 or greater.
  5. A rated life of 10,000 hours or greater as determined by the lumen maintenance and time to failure test procedure.
  6. State-regulated LED lamps that have an ANSI standard lamp shape of A shall meet the omnidirectional light distribution requirements of ENERGY STAR's Product Specification for Lamps Version 2.0 (December 2015).
  7. State-regulated LED lamps that have an ANSI standard lamp shape of B, BA, C, CA, F, or G shall meet the decorative light distribution requirements of ENERGY STAR's Product Specification for Lamps Version 1.1 (August 2014).

(B) In addition to the requirements in section 1605.3(k)(2)(A) of this Article, state-regulated LED lamps manufactured on or after July 1, 2019 shall have a standby mode power of 0.2 watt or less.

[Table K-9 indicates that the minimum efficacy shall be 80 lumens per watt and that efficacy + 2.3*CRI shall be 297 or greater.]

1 Like

Yeah this is exactly what it is :blush:

1 Like

There has got to be an exception for “smart” devices..

Nope. Dumb regulations don't contemplate smart devices. If no one representing smart devices commented during the regulatory comment period, there's no way the drafters would have understood the issue.

1 Like

And I bet all the wifi bulbs that are for sale violate this law.

2 Likes

Can I ask, what is the primary purpose of Smart Bulbs?

I mean I have a couple of HUE's but I pretty much use them for Halloween Lighting. For general lighting I find Smart Wall Switches to make a lot more sense.

2 Likes

Same here! I very much prefer smart switches, dimmers, and fan controllers.

However, some folks are renters and swapping bulbs is much easier than trying to get approval to rewire the light switches. Some rental agreements may even disallow it.

I do have a few Sengled RGBW bulbs in table lamps, which work great as well. The color functionality is more of a novelty. However, I do use it to indicate serious issues like a water leak. In that case, all of the color bulbs turn on and are set to blue. This provides an instant visual notification of what the problem is.

For me the big thing is color temperature.. My whole house goes from daylight to incandescent at sunrise / sunset to help with sleeping patterns, as I prefer daylight white but found it was negatively affecting sleep.

2 Likes

I can see that. For me, I am an old-time soft white fan. My wife despises color temps above 3000 except in utility areas like the laundry room or garage. I replaced the old tube fluorescent fixtures in those spaces with 4 ft LED fixtures a long time ago. So glad to be rid of those bulbs. Never knew if they’d turn on reliably or not. If not, had to flick the switch a few times. Now that all of the lighting is automated in the house, we hardly ever touch a light switch!