RFID Keypad

Hi,

Quick and dirty writeup for a project I've used and reused a few times around the house. This allows you to use a cheap-■■■ RFID keypad such as this...

... which costs about a tenner on amazon to control all sorts of cool stuff if you connect to say, a nodeMCU/konnected. I use mine for changing modes of HSM for my security system, and the latest one was used to allow a rfid fob to open the garage door via a cheap relay,

The fobs are cheap as chips (you get a box of 20 or something with one of these, I've got hundreds). Gives a very easy, mother-in-law-friendly method of kicking off whichever complex automations you may wish. It's a doddle to add/remove fobs (i.e. can de-authorise one if it gets lost).

Here's the manual...

And here's the inside:

Couple of wires, nothing major.

Large connector

+12v (red) to PSU positive
GND (black) to PSU negative

Small Connector

NC "Normally closed" (brown) to NodeMCU_PinD1 (set as an open/close sensor in konnected)
COM (blue) to NodeMCU_3v_gnd.

That's about it to be honest. Normally the contact is CLOSED...

... but if you hold an authorised fob to the panel, you get a lovely little 'beep', the light goes green fro 5 seconds and the contact changes to OPEN during this time. Doddle.

I use webcore to turn on a 3v relay for a couple of seconds when contact changes to OPEN. This connects the dry contacts of my garage door opener. You can obviously add whichever rules you want to increase security (for example, just touching two wires together won't just open the garage door...there are a series of rules I use to make sure the keypad needs to be activated, then the door to it needs to be closed, then a seperate bell contact needs to be pressed within 10 secs to activate the relay, else it all just disarms harmlessly again).

Enjoy!

4 Likes

What do you use as an interface between the keypad and hubitat? I was thinking about a cheap zigbee or zwave relay, but I'm worried the state change from it won't be reported quickly enough for the system to be useful.

1 Like

As mentioned in the post, I use a WiFi based nodemcu flashed with konnected firmware.

The change is virtually instant.

I don't bother with zigbee etc, as I can't justify the cost. This is cheap as chips and 100% reliable and has been for as long as I have had it.

You do realize that these things are barely more secure than having a push button in it's place, rip it off the wall and use jumpers on the relay dry contacts (brown/blue/purple wires) and the garage door opens.

To have a secure system, the electronic side of the keypad/RFID reader should always be inside the building you are wanting to secure, so this way even if they rip the keyboard off the wall, there is nothing in there than can trigger something to open via dry contacts.

2 Likes

winky smiley

If only I'd thought things through. =p

I just need an easy way to change HSM modes with a keypad. There are no alternatives using a reasonably priced keypad. I bought Ring keypad only to realize I have a C5 and need to spend another $120 on a C7. If C7 goes on sale for black Friday, I'll go the expensive route, otherwise this will work just fine for less than the price of Ring keypad alone.