Revisiting Schlage BE469 battery drain issue

So that is why I think it is a bad device.

And you cannot move the lock? Why?

i said i cant move the door lol so its important to have a working lock in this location. i am troubleshooting a lock that used to be great and there's no way to update the firmware so nothing has changed there. before i go to all the trouble of disassembling both locks i'm trying to follow a logical path. Here's what I've done

• moved from wink to hubitat
  • put fresh batteries in both locks on same day
  • worked on the lock plate to ensure the bolt action is frictionless
  • gave everything time to settle; did a repair of zwave network a couple days later
  • deliberately did not use the motor on the lock (either manually or in any automation scripts) to isolate if the motor action was the cause of the drain
  • 2 weeks later lock was at 76% so i added a hub 1 as a repeater
  • waited 24 hours and examined lock again and it was down to 34%
  • just initiated zwave repair w/ new hub in place and waiting to see what effect that has

i'm not opposed to swapping the locks around but i am scared of screwing up my other lock in the process which is working great so i'm hesistant to mess with it.

Well I'm down to 18% today. Repairing the zwave network didn't seem to help. I managed to drain over 50% of the Lock's battery in 48 hours by putting a wink hub 1 near it. So that didn't go as planned. I wish there was a way to see what's going on with the zwave traffic.

I have yet to actually lock the door using the motor since I swapped batteries 2 weeks ago. Maybe I'll yet the aeotech repeater next and decommission the wink hub completely.

First thing you'd want to try to do is to ensure that the lock is actually trying to repeat through that old wink hub. You can't force it to do so. You just have to make that path looks better than any other path.

Also, your lock is NOT going to just wake up and talk to anything until you actually spin that lock a few times. Because it's a FLiRS device, so I'd reboot the lock by unplugging the battery pack and plugging it back in and then spin it locked unlocked etc 3-4 times. Looking in your ide to see if the status is changing in the schlage device page. Then see how it acts. If you have a zniffer, it would be a great time to bust it out.

Otherwise, I think it's a possiblility you have a bad zwave module in the lock. I've seen this drain as I had a bad module in my lock. Like it's constantly searching for the signal, but never getting it. It would be the same symptoms of a lock that never had a good path to the hub.

1 Like

Well apparently the 18% was the last dying message from my lock lol. I am following your advice (hadn't thought of unplugging the batteries) since I have no choice :smiley: I put in fresh batteries and the lock response is nearly instantaneous so I'm hoping maybe it will pick the wink over the jasco zwave switch this time.

If I unpaired the lock entirely the battery drain issue should go away if the assumption is that this is the zwave radio correct?

Is a zniffer a software or hardware tool? I'm guessing the latter.

EDITED TO ADD : whoa! the zombie wink hub just sent alexa a 'new light is connected' message! I think maybe thats the lock because it appeared at the same time i replaced the batteries! Maybe the 'zombie nodes' appearing in my eunuch wink hub are actually helpful after all. in this case it appears this alerted me the lock is now passing through the wink hub because i didnt touch touch the hub; just put fresh batteries in the lock. CROSSING FINGERS

1 Like

Don't unpair the lock just yet. Reboot the lock and run a repair. Then spin the lock a few times because the lock won't wake up and find a path until you do that. Then see if it can be controlled by the ide. If so, let it calm down a bit and check after a couple of hours that the lock is still responsive. As long as it's paired secure and that wink hub acts as a repeater, then you should see a difference.

a zniffer is hardware and software that you can use to tell what routes your devices are using to get messages to and from the hub. it's about $30.
Here is the link with the instructions

Also, if you had an aeotec, you'd be able to see when it's repeating as the light flashes when it repeats signals. It's a nice little feature. I have two of the aeotec repeater 6's. FWIW

see my edit above!! i think i just made progress!

i'm afraid to run another repair now for fear of messing up the wink hub's newly acquired friend. if this turns out to work for all devices, keeping the wink app on my phone might not be such a terrible thing after all..at least until wink bricks it.

1 Like

Oh I do hope it's working for you. I believe wink does support beaming. I think I saw it mentioned here before. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Ok .. you can't tell me you haven't noticed anything by now. Like mine was obvious right away. So ... sound off

Hi @april.brandt! Lol I've been superstitious and afraid to say anything but so far so good! Lock is still at 100% today so the rapid drain is gone. I'll report back in a week. The back door lock still reporting at 100% several weeks after battery swap so we'll see where this lock is in 7 days.

I hope this did the trick! Thank you for all your advice and tips.

1 Like

It's amazing how improving the communication helps with that. Mine drained the batteries like we drank beer as teenagers! Still keeping :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Might want to eventually consider adding a repeater with beaming to your mesh instead of that wink in case they brick it on you. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have some good established paths on your network as a backup.

Absolutely. I've been eyeing those aotech repeaters. Certainly easier to install than getting the wink to work and I like your comment about how it blinks when a command goes through it. That is almost as useful as the 'zniffer' you talked about although that tool could be really useful if I ever need to help a friend set up their house.

Sounds corny but hubitat has made building my smart house fun again. I was so excited initially with wink but all the constant headaches made me lose my enthusiasm for it.

1 Like

Oh the feeling of accomplishment when you solve a problem is definitely a good one, but the emotional rollercoaster can be tiring. I love my locks. I like my repeaters and I am addicted to zniffing. Being able to see what's going where is so helpful when you're troubleshooting things. I'd still get one if you have interest in it. Welcome to the rabbit hole. It runs deep.

I'd wait for the 7's to come available since you have a working solution at the moment.

1 Like

awesome. will wait for the 7s and @ $30 the zniffer seems like a no-brainer. i mean i spend more than that on a single lightswitch :wink:

1 Like

I love my zniffer. Search out sniffing, zniffing ... you'll find the instructions there.

Booo. So my locks have 3 states

• no battery drain
  • slow battery drain
  • fast battery drain

with the wink hub acting as a repeater near it i'm back to slow drain (98% today) so i'll try additional zwave repairs and move it even closer (in the hall near lock). i may get a zniffer next and do some AUTHENTIC testing instead of guessing who the lock is talking to.

1 Like

But I feel like we're on the right track here, at least.

1 Like

absolutely. i feel like that ge switch is part of the problem. i wish it wasn't so close to the lock..its like 6 inches away max. maybe i'll swap it for a zigbee switch from somehwere else in the house.

thanks for all your help on this april!

I don't think that ge switch supports beaming. If it doesn't then it's no worry. I have ge's 6 inches away from all of my locks. And they don't even see the switches. Before you go to the trouble, zniff.

1 Like