Review / perspective on C8 pro

I'm not saying change the operations of the UI, I'm talking about cleaning it up, using the technology we have (better implementation of HTML5)

. Example, Rule machine, if you ever try to update a rule on mobile, once you click something everything jumps around, edits are odd.

It also does not always play well with smaller screens. Etc. etc.

And I understand that we are used to the UI, but it does look old and worn out and will in time loose market place if new home automators decide to find other devices that have cleaner and more interactive UI's.

I'm an old command line jocky, I understand the old dog and new tricks, but the mass majority, it's a market death for a lot.

Heck I spent a decent amount of time talking to a buddy who was gonna go HE , but when I showed him it, he scoffed over thenUI, and is most likely going another route

2 Likes

If anything, just add a nice Node Red-ish automation UI and leave the rest alone. 95% of the time a normal user will spend in the UI is making automations. How often are you really in there adding/removing devices? Hubitat is more about automation. It's never had a lot of effort on dashboards because, honestly, dashboards are crap. It's just manual control, but worse. A physical button/switch is a million times better than the best dashboard. And automation is better still. Automation > physical control > voice control > dashboards.

I'd be up for a UI refresh if it's just to use newer underlying tech but keeping it simple and high contrast. Thankfully Bruce seems to have an emphasis on usability over 'shininess', so we'll likely never end up with some contrast-less monstrosity.

2 Likes

I do add a device from time to time, I am always frustrated how the mobile app is so difficult to get in there to fix it. I've learned all the nuances but that is my point, the nuances.

And I agree the dashboard looks like crap, so I had to go out and pay for a better one that takes my dash in the cloud, defeating the purpose. And making my point.

Again, your fwe are talking old dogs that won't learn new tricks.

2 Likes

I don't bother with the mobile app. Just use the web UI. It works the same on mobile as desktop if you click "use desktop version", especially if you pull it up on a bigger device like an iPad. Whenever I need to go around the house and fiddle with devices, like when I recently added a few more motion sensors (the new Ikea Vallhorn ones, which are pretty nice for $8), I just carry my iPad around and do everything there.

I don't have a dashboard, I don't want a dashboard, and I'll never have a dashboard. The lights are automated. If that's not good enough I just stand up and press the wall switch. I can walk across the room and tap a wall switch in a tenth the time it takes to fumble around on some silly dashboard. And for the 2 times a year where I have some reason to mess with something from my phone, HomeKit works just fine for that.

2 Likes

I guess I hit a sore spot for people, but my point was to make it abit more intuitive, never did I mention a complete makeover, I just feel it works in a strange kinda way, but I def manage to get past that.

Yes the dashboard section is pretty poor, I can live with that, but wish I could drag and drop the tiles in the order I want them, I know theres a workaround that, but I would rather see that function in the native app.

yes I agree main function is automations, but in order to make those as easy as possible it would not hurt to re think the interface a bit to make navigation more clear for the common user like myself

Otherwise as I said the Hubitat is amazing and can do amazing things, but it also have to be a little bit on their toes as well, when you like at eg. Homey pro looks like and can do

3 Likes

There's more to UI than just contrasty icons/text. Even HE's dashboards suffers from this (just look at the stock switch icon - white text on a yellow background when on). Most people (here at least) are focussed on ease of use ie not always having to refer to a document or bookmarked post to figure out how to do something.

Also dashboards aren't only about controlling switches. I use my desktop dashboard for an at a glance view of everything plus showing video feeds, status, weather, power use etc. I also have a nest hub on my desk which does precisely that plus a few switches to manually control certain things. In this context a better UI would be very handy in organising and displaying data.

As would most of us :grinning:. But painful as it is, it's a once off task anyway so TBH not a dealbreaker, Anyway for more customisation outside of one of the various apps out there you can check out using CSS here The Noob's (in)complete guide to CSS for Hubitat

3 Likes

Im on that as well

reagrding dashboards, Ill like to be able to see them while travelling, is everything in order, the HSM system operates correctly and so on, it would not hurt to have larger icons for sensors or door opens or closes etc. Im sure it can be done, but Ive just played around with it for less than 2 weeks so...
but thanks for that link, Ill for sure check it out, looks very interesting, even I have no coding experience at all haha

2 Likes

The UI is ugly, but its biggest problem is its usability. It is extremely unintuitive for the uninitiated and those without a developer background.

1 Like

Wow has this thread perverted into something else.

100% same here.

Are you saying the conversation hasn't kept to the topic of talking about the C8 Pro? :wink:

2 Likes

I think commentary on the UI/UX is part of reviewing a device with UI.

2 Likes

I'm not too fussed either way in terms of the discussion.... But it does feel like the UI / UX issues or otherwise aren't something specific to the C8 Pro, that isn't really any different between models nowadays. Not to say conversation about the merits of the UI aren't worth having, just whether this is the right topic... Again, I'm not too much of a stickler for that stuff...

1 Like

True, however this is the OP’s first Hubitat hub.

2 Likes

its a thing that a lot of people have issues with.

3 Likes

I’m totally with you! One of the reasons (bur of course not the only reason) why I’m looking at Homey Pro as a replacer for my Hubitat C7 is Homeys much easier to use UI.

1 Like

just took a look.. i wouldnt call its flow cards advanced.. yes it may look pretty but i can guarantee you i can write much more complex rules in the hubitat interface.. light years faster than in the homey interface..

1 Like

For now . Habitat was limited if you compare today to when it first came out.

But the comment about going to another hub is what I'm getting at. If you don't advance people will leave.

Who says asus routers are crappy?

1 Like

You have to look at their Advanced flow when you compare because that’s what you’re most likly to use if you have the new Homey Pro.

It’s not that Hubitat can’t do as complex rules as Homey. It can do as complex things and maybe even more if you have the skills for it. It’s about ease of use if you’re not a tech-guy. Homeys UI is also is avaliable in a lot of different languages since it’s made for the european market wich makes a big difference. It also supports more european brands/device than Hubitat does, and it supports 433 mhz and Bluetooth if you want to use those protocolls.
But all of those things are irrelevant here since we talk about UI and as you say your self; it looks prettier on Homey. And for many of us out there that means easier to use.

1 Like