Returning my Harmony Hub

Well I’m disappointed. I was hoping to gain control of individual devices. Realizing after I have to do this by activity and harmony only allows control of one activity at a time.

Just stupid. So if I’m watching tv and I kick off turn on fireplace it turns everything off and then turns on the tv....

1 Like

Unfortunately this is how the harmony hub has worked for years. No indication Logitech will change course, but there are some workarounds that aren’t necessarily simple to implement.

Edit: also I hope you don’t mind I moved this thread to the lounge. The support category doesn’t really fit a discussion about harmony hubs.

You can just choose the device in your list of devices and then send any command to that device without affecting your current activity. Can put the commands you commonly use on the digital screen for easy access as well. Not perfect but pretty easy.

Are you referring to the harmony app for Hubitat? It only pulled in activities and not devices.

No, the harmony iOS or android app. Individual devices can be controlled from that app.

Personally I don’t usually find it all that convenient to use the Harmony app.

Yeah... I do know you can do that.

This isn’t going to work the way I wanted. On top of this the ir placement and what not won’t work with my roomba since it’s out of line of sight.

I was hoping I could control one device at a time. Not through activities.

If you have an RPi or equivalent, you can control individual devices through Harmony. Here's what I use:

Edit - this is also easy to integrate with Hubitat.

4 Likes

I actually just meant using the actual remote. The harmony app sucks.

There is an excellent NodeRed node that will allow you to control individual devices and you can also tie that into HE easily. I don't have my Harmony hubs attached to my HE anymore, just NodeRed and Alexa. You can do pretty much anything you want with your individual devices this way.

2 Likes

That’s an option. I don’t know to much about node red. I’ve got some of it up and running. Forget what the terminology and names are called but the main proxy and node red installed and accessible from my browser. That’s about as far as I went.

At the end of the day I don’t want multiple apps and backend devices doing all this work.

I rather just have Hubitat controlling the devices only.

Sounds silly but bah I’m returning it..

in the Harmony app, you can set the fireplace activity to not change any other devices (i.e. not turn off other devices). this is a workaround. i prefer to control my devices through the device buttons on the remote. for this, i use SmartThings and hubconnect to Hubitat for control, it's instantaneous. What @aaiyar and @corerootedxb mentioned are great options as well. i just don't have the time to tinker with them now. i likely will next year as i make the final push to get rid of smartthings. i only use smartthings for presence, harmony, and arlo integrations.

Activity 1 - watch tv

• turn on tv and set input HDMI 1
  • turn on Apple TV

Activity 2 - fireplace

• turn on fireplace

So how would you do it ?

I'm confused, normal for me. I currently use the smarthome buttons on the harmony remote thru ST and thus to HE to control some lights. If I am interpreting some of the above posts correctly there is a way to bypass ST for this?

AFAIK, no. There is no way to bypass this as you can only setup the smart home buttons on the remote within the app and those can only map to an installed service (of which there are just a handful). Honestly, it's one of the stupidest things about the Harmony remote as the hub doesn't send out any kind of message that can be captured when one of those buttons are pressed.

3 Likes

Just so everyone knows I only had the hub. No remote.

This feature was added to the harmony integration. I know, as I added part of it. It's technical as you have to get the device ID and the command, but you can send it. You can then use a button or switch virtual device with rule machine to trigger the actuation on the harmony hub.

You can then add specific things for like input changes or channel. It's fine if you need a few specific buttons, but not if you are trying to emulate the whole remote control, which is possible, but would take a long time.

For that I'd suggest a button device with 20ish buttons, then use button controller in RM to do one rule that does each of them. On dashboard, you'd then create each button and use a cheat sheet to remind yourself of which number to link with which icon, along with some CSS hackery.

1 Like