[Resurrected] Advanced Honeywell T6 Pro Z-Wave Thermostat Driver

@steve.hoge

v1.2.19 should have working Home and Away modes now

1 Like

Thanks, works great! Now I would like to figure out the simplest method for exposing this parameter to the Amazon Alexa Skill for complete thermostat voice control but that is another topic.

Off the top of my head possibly a virtual switch with a couple of rules:

Switch on Thermostat Command Home
Switch off Thermostat Command Away

Yes I typically have taken this approach and my Device list is cluttered with virtual switches and devices whose sole purpose is to serve as Alexa proxies. :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

This is the way.

2 Likes

So it turns out that the Alexa thermostat API already does support a value of ECO for its thermostatMode property in addition to the standard AUTO, COOL, EM_HEAT, HEAT and OFF.

And when I asked "Alexa, set the thermostat to ECO mode" it actually responded "Thermostat is set to energy saving mode" - but then set it to 40F with heating mode still enabled :laughing:

(Strangely, subsequent commands to set ECO mode elicited the same verbal response but no change in the heating set point... )

I wonder where this arbitrary 40F setpoint is coming from? Sounds like it may have been hardcoded into either Hubitat's Amazon Echo Skill app or the AWS-side Hubitat skill itself back in the day when existing Hubitat thermostat drivers didn't have a way of supporting a thermostat's native ECO/AWAY mode.

Now that we have that, though, it would be nice if the app or skill was updated to map the ECO value of the thermostatMode property onto AWAY status in the T6 driver and in other thermostat drivers that support energy-saving modes.

40°F is the minimum heat value that the thermostat supports.

1 Like

So I finally got my new Honeywell T6 (the newest model 700 series TH6320ZW2007) that was back-ordered for 8 weeks. I'm not wired into the HVAC system yet, but have the tstat running on a wall wort near its final install location while I get it all set up.

Thanks for this driver. Zwave pairing and overall Setup with the Advanced driver and then the tsat scheduler has been a joy so far.

One question I have, the install manual shows an ISU 1421 (Z-Wave Temperature Resolution) setting, but both regular zwave menu and advanced installer menu seem to skip right over this ISU (jumps from 1420 to 1425) on the tsat itself. I didn't specifically see a setting for this in the advanced driver. There is a field to set the reporting change interval for temp and humidity, but that might be limited to 1 degree if that is what the tstat has 1421 set to?

Manual says its set to 1 degree by Default, I'd like to set to 0.5 degrees if possible. Anyone know how to do that, or something else I need to do to expose it?

Thanks

If you pair it while it's on mains power it will become a repeater. If you're just using batteries it won't repeat.

Not all isu's are available on all models.

Yes, I paired on AC; no batteries even installed. (yet). The zwave temp. resolution reporting r seems independent of that.

1 Like

Right that was just a side note. Anyway as I said, not all models have those isu's available to them. The ISU table in the manuals encompasses every model but isn't available on every model. I looked at both my 500 series and my 700 series and neither has that ISU available...

The 0.5 deg. setting is in a weird place.
Menu—>Z-Wave Setup—>Temp Report—> Advanced

1 Like

Wow I have never seen that... Is it also reflected in the driver attributes?

Edit: Tried setting and hit configure in Hubitat. Hubitat doesn't seem to reflect the 0.5 setting outlined by @user3790 nor does it show on the screen.

Yes! Thank you very much! Instant fix when I set it at the T6 itself, although is in a just slightly different place:
Menu—>Z-Wave Setup—>Temp Report

(first item in temp report, no "Advanced"); maybe due to the 2007 model being newer (unless you also have the 2007)?

I must have scrolled right past it 1000 times.

I wasn't buying that the install manual would have an actual ISU number spelled out and not support it (although looks like they did miss he f/w implementation to view/set said ISU (1421) in the advanced installer menu, so...).

rlithgow1,

I initially tried setting it from the hubitat zwave config side, but that no effect. Setting it at TSTAT itself worked for me though.

I finally installed the T6 after getting past the trial on wall wort. I have to say, the install hardware (the UWP and mounting wiring block) was a joy to install; well thought out and an easy process. Ive installed quite a few TSTATs for myself and others, this was one of easiest.

Life on the advanced driver has also been good. I wasn't sure how things were going to go with the Honeywell "Zero Deadband (non settable) " operating mode of the T6 with the "advanced algorithm", but seems to be doing ok, I guess its just a balancing act against the cycles per hour setting and some learning history for runtime to target temps.

The only thing I haven't quite reckoned is that my system is 2 Stage Heat/1 Stage Cool (Conventional), but both the Tstat and the driver seem to only allow one setting of stages for both (so either 1/1 or 2/2). To be fair I did note that in the manual ahead of time. I guess worst case I can just change configs twice year, setting to 1/1 during cooing season and 2/2 during heat.

ISU 220 sets stages for cooling, 221 sets stages for heating... So they indeed can be set for 2/1 . It's how mine is set

At the T6 Gui itself, yes, there are two ISUs. I meant in the HE advanced driver GUI , there is a "Stages" field that seems to drive the stages for both heat and cool; but I cant explicitly see how that field is mapped to ISUs.

The advanced driver still shows settings related to stage 2 cooling.

It may just be a presentation thing; the T6 GUI will automatically hide fields based on prior context select selections, where the advanced driver screen maybe shows all fields all the time.

I don't have aux or emergency heat as another example , but I can't see how to explicitly disable them from advanced driver ("no selection" doesn't seem to cut it.). And in the "Current States" summary section of the advanced driver, supportedThermostatModes shows: "auto", "off", "emergency heat", "cool").

For that I'll let @thebearmay chime in. Perhaps he can write something in to eliminate the emergency heat aspect but honestly is that even a big deal? I mean you can just ignore it. The driver is reading the abilities from the thermostat itself and looking at the isu chart it doesn't look like that can be set to disabled. @bcopeland may have an idea as to why but as I said does it really matter? You can set stages under preferences but I don't think that's available as a displayed attribute from the thermostat itself.

Parameter 6 (Stages) is the cooling stages setting
Parameter 7 (Heat Stages Aux/E stages) - is the heating stages setting