Restoring to C8 from multiple hubs?

Can I restore zwave devices from multiple C7 hubs currently in a Hub Mesh configuration to one C8 hub, or will I have to restore from one C7, and move the devices from the second C7 manually?

No.

Yes.

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

I am in the same situation as I have multiple hubs based on protocol (zigbee, zwave, lan). Personally I plan to migrate my Zwave hub to my C8 since I have many zwave devices that are a pain to get to, reset, and re-pair so its the path of least resistance for me. Plus Zigbee devices "fall in place" so I will "seed" my C8 hub with device records setting the Zigbee ID, etc so when I reset a zigbee device it will match against the record I previously created.

3 Likes

No, I don’t think so. I don’t believe you can migrate this way. from what I understand, when you migrate, it doesn’t move the devices to the new hub, it tells the new hub to take on the z-wave identity of the old hub. If you do this a 2nd time, you lose the devices you just migrated, and you lose the hub ID as it gets assigned another new ID.

Migrate once using the tool, then migrate the others manually.

I am curious, if you felt a need to have separate hubs, why would you move all the devices back to a single hub? The new hub isn’t more capable than the old ones. I recommend you migrate just one, and monitor performance. Then you can manually migrate over time while monitoring performance.

FWIW in my case they are (at least when I made the decision to split things up). I split my hubs back when the C3 couldn’t handle the load and bought additional C4s. Since then I swapped out the C4s with C7s but I am growing tired of managing 4 production hubs so will be going down the path of a 3 hub setup: Radio (Zigbee and Zwave on same hub vs separate today), LAN, and a coordinator. I was originally hoping to get to a 2 hub setup but in speaking with support there is concern of the C8 handling my 280 total devices all on one hub plus apps and mesh from LAN.

1 Like

280 devices is a challenge if you have a lot going on at once. If you live in a large home and are there by yourself, how many doors, windows or motion sensors can you trigger in a minute??

Compare that to the smaller home with 6 people/pets causing several triggers a minute. I know in my home I'm averaging events about once per two seconds. Plenty of time usually, but around meal times we're getting some specific seconds where 3-4 events occur. Depending then on how many devices an Event actions, increases the potential for a noticeable delay.

Maybe two device hubs, since the Z-Radios are the constraining resource. Perhaps combine the LAN and Coordinator going forward? Your LAN speed is a hundred times faster and thus the I/O resource constraint is resolved more quickly and the hub can move on to another task.

I've got 3 Device hubs because I have decided to limit my hubs to 65 devices. Nothing measured about "65", it's just an arbitrary number I gave myself. It's large enough that I only need 2 device hubs, but have 3. For me, I prioritize responsiveness over burdensome hub management. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

it is possible that you may be able to restore your Z-Wave devices from multiple C7 hubs to one C8 hub. However, the process may depend on the specific devices and software involved, and it's possible that you may need to perform some manual steps to ensure a smooth transition. It's always best to consult the documentation or seek advice from the manufacturer or a technical expert to ensure that you follow the correct procedures and avoid any potential issues.

As discussed above, it is not currently possible.

2 Likes

Is chat GPT lurking our forums?

6 Likes

That user’s responses in a few threads struck me as AI-generated too.

:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I think before we can make any real determination of if the load can handle the 280 devices it would be nice to see metrics for each hub. Do you have a dashboard to track things like CPU Usage over time, Memory consumption ect. It wouldn't be hard to track this if you don't . You can use the InfluxDB Logger app and a free Cloud Influx DB database account to track it and get some metrics.

ChatGPT actually gave a little better answer :laughing:

In order to restore Z-Wave devices from multiple C7 hubs to a single C8 hub, you may need to perform a few different steps depending on your specific setup.

First, you will need to remove the Z-Wave devices from the C7 hubs. To do this, you can use the Z-Wave exclusion process, which typically involves putting the hub into exclusion mode and then initiating the exclusion process on the device itself. Once the device has been successfully excluded from the C7 hub, it can then be added to the C8 hub.

If you have a large number of Z-Wave devices connected to multiple C7 hubs, manually moving them to the C8 hub may be a time-consuming process. However, some hubs do offer migration tools that can help streamline the process. For example, some users have reported success using the Hubitat Hub Transfer Tool to migrate devices from one C7 hub to another, and then from the C7 hubs to a single C8 hub.

Overall, while the process of moving Z-Wave devices from multiple C7 hubs to a single C8 hub may require some effort, it should be possible with the right tools and techniques.

2 Likes

It's no doubt impressive, but ultimately I find the answer lacking, mostly beating around the bush and quoting generic zwave procedures. I'll be fully impressed when it can confidently answer the question with, "no".

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.