Resource leak seems worse with a full house

Since our family has been at home everyday, my C5 has been dying even faster, I reboot each night but it’s not making it through the day some days.

Everything stops and the logs fill with lines like these

2020-03-30 05:52:55.744 [error] java.sql.SQLException: Connections could not be acquired from the underlying database! (parse)

2020-03-30 05:04:50.772 [error] java.sql.SQLException: An SQLException was provoked by the following failure: com.mchange.v2.resourcepool.ResourcePoolException: A ResourcePool cannot acquire a new resource -- the factory or source appears to be down. on line 370 (parse)

2020-03-30 05:04:50.732 [error] java.sql.SQLException: An SQLException was provoked by the following failure: com.mchange.v2.resourcepool.ResourcePoolException: A ResourcePool cannot acquire a new resource -- the factory or source appears to be down. on line 106 (parse)

2020-03-30 05:04:50.708 [error] java.sql.SQLException: An SQLException was provoked by the following failure: com.mchange.v2.resourcepool.ResourcePoolException: A ResourcePool cannot acquire a new resource -- the factory or source appears to be down. on line 116 (parse)

I have done a few soft resets one only a few days ago

I did ask support, but didn’t get a reply, does anyone know there is any way to put my hub back to a firmware version which is not showing in the list. I never had a single problem with my hub and never rebooted it until 2.1.6, so if I could get mine back to 2.1.5 just to see if all the problems go away.

1 Like

Try a soft reset, then shut the hub down, wait a few minutes and then restart it. There are many posts on this subject you can reference.

There are many posts on this subject you can reference.

Perhaps a ink or a suggestion for a keyword search might be helpful.
A forum search for "resource leak" yields 24 results, several to some very long posts v(over 100 posts). Care to help narrow it down?

Search for "slow hub" you will see a number of recent posts at the top of the search and you will find recommendations/process you can try. There are a number of us with hub slow down issues although your errors maybe point to a database corruption/disconnection.

You can also email your errors to support@hubitat.com to log an official report, then @bobbyD will get back to you with assistance.

1 Like

Here are the docs for maintenance/backup/restore etc. Explains how to revert to a previous version if you want to try that...

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Care_and_Maintenance

1 Like

I also tried a search using "ResourcePool cannot acquire a new resource -- the factory or source appears to be down" and get a few hits. Worth a read. The errors points to a database issues as I suggested above. But you've tried a reset already. It's been recommended to me to shut the hub down completely after a soft reset leave it a few minutes, then restart it. Anyway, there may be a problematic device on your network which needs to be identified and resolved. Maybe these hits will help give you some clues. It's a thankless task working through this but it seems there is no easy solution, I wish there were...

2 Likes

Sorry for the troubles. Based on the logs you shared and our preliminary research, something is continuously corrupting your database. Unfortunately, a Soft Reset is unlikely to resolve the problem because you are restoring the same custom apps and drivers. At the moment, your hub is bombarded with thousands of lines of errors, which makes it rather impossible to determine which custom code may be the root cause of your problem. The only way to identify the offending code is to temporarily disable any custom code to see if your problem persists. If the problem goes away, then you can enable your custom apps or drivers, one at the time, to identify which one is the problem.

If you don't know how to disable an app or a driver, please see "Disable Device Drivers" and "Disable Apps" sub-headings in the following documents:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Devices
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Apps

6 Likes

Thanks for all the replies.
Since 2.1.6 came out I have had to start restarting my hub, which has included reboots, shutting down and powering off completely, and soft resets just to make sure.

I really find it hard to believe that there is database corruption as restarting, shutting down or soft reset gives the exact same effect, the hub run perfectly for around a day to 2 days.
The hub then gets slower and then eventually comes up with 500 errors on the web interface and other resource / sql errors in the logs.

I have minimised the custom apps i have and now only have 3
Dominick Meglio's rebooter, only installed after all the problems started, so i'm ruling that out
Bruce Ravenel Average Temperatures, which i'm assuming is ok.
one of my own which controls the few LightwaveRF devices i have, This is only actually triggered a few times a day and i have disabled it for a few days and still had problems, also it was one of the first apps i did which was long before my hub started playing up.

i do have a few custom drivers and have disabled some of them, with no difference.
i will try disabling more, but picking out stuff to disabled while all the family are at home can be a problem.

I have got a zwave sniffer and nothing appears amiss, nothing spamming the network and speeds ok

With Groovy being a managed language I do have a question, what can a driver do that can cause problems with the system apart from the obvious, filling up lists, spamming logs, scheduling loads of events, loops not finishing etc.

Bruce did post that they believed there was a resource leak, but were struggling to locate it, i assume nothing has be found or reported.

Feel for you. I'm going through similar sh1t right now....

Have patched a few more things out to see what happens but it’s a bit subjective to decide if it’s any better without leaving it to actually crash :scream: