[Request] Zigbee Status

Besides having suffered too many Zigbee network failures lately, (I assume this problem is being taken care of), it came to me that too many times, when i am trying to pair a new (or old) zigbee device, I start getting weird errors, and lot’s of frustration for not being able to detect (pair) that device, until I realize that the problem is not with the Hub or a specific device, but to the fact that there is no Zigbee network active.
Lot’s of wasted time and too much frustration.

So my suggestion is to put a text line on the
Devices/+ add device/zigbee/+ Start Zigbee pairing
where the user trying to pair a Zigbee device can see when the Zigbee network is down, so he won’t waste time trying something that has nothing to do with a device, but with the Zigbee network status.

Maybe something similar can be done on other Zigbee pages such as Zigbee Map app v2.2.0 and Zigbee Graph.

I'm not aware of a known issue with Zigbee network uptime.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The Zigbee Network is from the Hub radio. To my knowledge it cannot be "down" in the typical sense.

• It could be broken in you system
  • The radio could be off
    but these are local issues.

I personally have not received any Zigbee pairing errors, either they pair or they don't.

Maybe I should have been more specific.

I have a C-5, and noticed that my Zigbee network has been failing more and more for the last 4 - 6 weeks. Maybe failing every one or two days.
The only solution I see is to reboot the hub.

I don’t know if it’s because it is getting overloaded?
I have around 70 devices paired to my Zigbee network.
Recently (the last 30 days) I added 3 Sonoff ZbMicro USB Plugs that might cause the Zigbee network to fail, as I have read. (@kkossev ?).

I have upgraded the firmware to the latest version on all three plugs, which should solve the problem.

Those plugs work great and I can’t link my Zigbee network failing because of those 3 plugs.

But still is failing more often every time.

Is there any specific procedure I should follow to determine and fix this problem?

And now I go back to where I started.

It would be very helpful if the Zigbee Status is shown on some of the Zigbee pairing or graphs pages, just for the help of the user.

I personally have not received any Zigbee pairing errors, either they pair or they don't.

Exactly this is what I mean, sometimes they will not pair and the user (me) will try again and again to pair, with no success, until I discover that the problem is not with the pairing device, but to a Zigbee network Offline.

And certainly I didn’t turn this network off.

Is this more understandable?

Edit: I suspect I am not the first one to have this problem, and maybe some people reporting pairing issues are not aware that the problem is elsewhere, such as a Zigbee Network Offline.

@rgr I have only one Sonoff ZBMicro plug paired to my C-7 hub, but I don't have any stability issues.
This device is now very quiet after the firmware update to version 1.0.5

Device Stats

However, I notice problems with pairing new and re-pairing existing Zigbee devices on both C-7 and C-8 hubs recently.

1 Like

Or maybe I should split this post to [Problem] and [Request].

You are having Zigbee reliability problems but are you assuming that the network going entirely offline is the diagnosis? Or can you see "Zigbee Network Offline" listed somewhere?

You want a specific procedure but the details will depend on identifying the exact problem.

Are you finding this but with Zigbee disabled or OFFLINE?

did you managed to find out what has changed to zigbee in fw. 150 and above?
or system that makes zigbee unreliable.. on C7 s

This is exactly where I see an OFFLINE status.

1 Like

Then you should get hold of Hubitat folks, I know of no programmatic way to disable the Zigbee suggesting it's a hardware issue.
@bobbyD

As far as I am aware, nothing changed in 2.3.9. Victor and the others are very good about detailing changes, and having Beta tests especially when it comes to core functionality.

There is absolutely nothing in 2.3.9 release notes to say that there was a change in Zigbee. There are a few references to Zigbee in both Beta and normal release notes, but they are all just new drivers and supported devices. There is nothing noted about radio changes, Zigbee firmware, or anything similar. I think you are barking up the wrong tree with blaming a Zigbee change.

There may be some other hub issue (overloading?), or you may even be experiencing a hardware failure, but it isn't some base Zigbee radio change, at least not from any evidence I see.

1 Like

That is very interesting.

This is how it just failed about 15 minutes ago.

And here is a log file I started recording for about a week, including this recent failure.

This records are written in Spanish but it shouldn’t be too much trouble to understand.

Lunes, 8 de julio de 2024
Miércoles, 10 de julio de 2024
Sábado, 13 de julio de 2024, 4:00pm
Domingo, 14 de julio de 2024, 7:20pm
Lunes, 15 de julio de 2024, 5:25pm
Martes, 16 de julio de 2024, 10:15pm

Obviously this is not normal.

Any suggestions?

Edit: After a Hub reboot, everything goes back to normal.

1 Like

How many Sonos speakers you have?
Can you temporarily disable the Sonos integration?

From what I have read so far, the reason for the Zigbee radio being shot off may be LAN integrations overloading the hub.

1 Like

I have owned 6 Sonos speakers for years, with no known problems whatsoever, but about a month ago I bought a Sonos Roam, the portable speaker.

About the same time I bought the Sonoff ZBMicro USB plug to control the charging process of this speaker.

I can relate the Zigbee network failure to the time when I started using this two devices.

I barely use the Roam, but still it is active on the network.

You suggest to disable all my Sonos.

I use them for lots of RM rules and integrations, so I will begin by unplugging the Roam for a few days, and in case the problem appears again, then I can unplug the other 6 speakers.

Any other suggestion?

Edit: Just unplugged both the Sonoff ZBMicro plug, and turned off the Sonos Roam.

If the problem is solved, then I will try to pinpoint if the problem is caused by the plug or the speaker.

@kkossev thank you for your help and suggestions.

2 Likes

i got rid of all integrations except the matter and hue

I am not staff. I am a paying customer just like you.

Barking up the wrong tree is a well known idiom. It means "jump to conclusions", or "wrong about the reason why something happened".

And I do think you are coming to a wrong conclusion that update 150 or whatever is causing your issue. There is no proof that there were any changes in that update, or any recent one for Zigbee.

If you have proof that 150 update caused your problem then I think you need to show that proof via logs, or other means.

4 Likes

@rgr Another thing to think about is moving your zigbee channel to 25 (you may have to re pair some stuff) 20 seems to be problematic lately. Switching channels has been the solution for a lot of people (including myself)

1 Like