Request: Pushover Emergency Priority

I’m using Pushover since the last update (thanks for the tip!), and I like it! The ability to specify L, M or H for each message is great, and a nice way to differentiate between different notifications.

I noticed that in the API description (Pushover: API) additional levels are described, among them “Emergency”. To me it sounds perfect for alarms, leaks and that kind of more serious “threats”, as it continues to notify until user action is taken.

So, TL;DR. Would it be possible to add [E] for emergency level notifications?

1 Like

If you are willing to use a custom driver, please see the post below. This is the same driver that the official driver is based on (possibly identical). I have submitted a request to have this custom driver updated for Emergency Notifications. Keep an eye on that thread.

I'm not sure if the Hubitat team plan to update this driver with small modifications as it is more of an interim solution until they get their mobile app in production. I'll let @bravenel speak to that.

1 Like

Custom driver has been updated as requested

Certainly willing to. Someone has to notify me though to make it happen. We have modified the driver somewhat, so we'd really need to see the changes.

@bravenel, we made the change in the custom driver already.

[E] prefix is now used for emergency notifications and requires the following parameters
retry - how often to resend notification until it is acknowledged (in seconds with a minimum of 30 seconds)
expire - timeout for resending notifications if they are never achknowledged (in seconds with a maximum of 10800)

I attempted to limit the preference inputs for retry and expire using “range” but it didn’t seem to limit the options so I just included that info in the description text. Please let me know the correct syntax for range limits if supported.

1 Like

I think we have an open issue with range. Not being enforced...

@bravenel
Has the range issue described above been resolved yet?

Does the built-in pushover driver support the [E] prefix for sending emergency priority messages?

Or is it still necessary to use the custom driver for that?

No, it doesn't. Will incorporate this for next release. It is necessary to set the Retry Interval and Auto Expire interval in the Device Preferences.

1 Like

Is range being enforced yet?

No, that's still an open issue. It will be addressed, just not in the immediate future.

New release adds this feature. Hub Update 1.1.2

3 Likes

Just an FYI for everyone using the custom driver.....

The bad news:
The latest firmware 1.1.2 breaks this driver because of changes to httpPost.

The good news:
This custom driver is no longer needed because this same update added [E] emergency support that makes it essentially the same.

Please update all your pushover devices to use the built in driver or you won't get any notifications.

2 Likes

Can someone please tell me where the "[E]" should be placed to invoke the emergency priority level for Pushover.

Thanks!

At the beginning of the message to be sent.

Also, be sure to check your app settings in the Pushover app for how it handles that.

Looking in the Pushover App, I can see the area for Default and for High Priority but not Emergency. To my mind, [H] in my message would map to High Priority sound; [N] would map to default sound. Does [L} map to NO sound? and lastly, what does [E] map to?
Or am I completely off and missing a key piece...

I am not sure what features the Hubitat built-in Pushover driver currently supports. However, if you need some additional features, please take a look at my community version of the same driver.

1 Like

The built in driver supports 4 priorities:

L - Low (-1)
N - Normal (0)
H - High (1)
E - Emergency (2)

These are documented in the Pushover API.

2 Likes

Emergency is not available as the default message priority in the builtin driver, but it is in the community driver written by @ogiewon

@bravenel Is this by design?

This code hasn't been looked at in a long time. I will look into it.