REQUEST: Log Upon Demand

Hi

Like to request a feature which I am pretty sure would be loved by many... Lets call it "Log Upon Demand."

Currently all Apps & Devices (well, pretty much all of them) generate a log entry in Logs. This is all fine and well, but becomes almost impossible to track if pretty much everything that is happening is generating a log entry!

Like most requests, it appears simple on the surface... :slight_smile:

Add a checkbox (or similar) on the Device page to enable / disable logging for that device. I think as a default the ability to generate a log entry should be disabled. As & when required to be enabled by the user.

This ability can also be extended to Rule Machine rules...

I am not advocating the non-generation of logs, only what is visually displayed on the Logs page. My Logs page fills up do quickly with entries it is a night-mare to fine & track them.

Thanks
J

This is already a feature of all built-in drivers. Plus, do you realize that you can isolate the logs to a selected device or app?

Are you talking about this:

Nope, not sure I understand what you mean by "you can isolate the logs to a selected device or app"
I see this in my logs page: (But a small sample)

If I click on each "entry"/device, yes, I can see what it did. Are you referring to this?

J

Seems like the simplest/most intuitive UI for this would be to allow the multiple selection of Devices/Apps using a standard Ctrl-Click method which most users are familiar with. Currently, it is either ALL or ONE. Allowing ALL or SOME would be a nice enhancement in the future.

For me, this would be a low priority, as today you can simply open multiple live log windows and select a unique device in each.

6 Likes

Too Funny, I'd this feature too and I admit to trying to Control Click on multiple Items.
My big problem is right now is the app Sharptools

This, please! This would be a huge quality of life improvement when trying to debug an app that works with devices. It would be very helpful to see both logs merged without having to compare timestamps manually between windows.

3 Likes

Or maybe a keyword search for anything in logs? If you are looking for something specific, filtering out every line that doesn't have that keyword could be very valuable.

3 Likes

This would also be useful and is probably lower-hanging fruit for the UI devs.

Iā€™d prefer the multiple log selection we were talking about above, but for debugging my own stuff it would be easy enough to prefix a string in my log method that could then be filtered for.