Reported battery level for EcoLink contact sensors?

I have EcoLink z-wave contact sensors on all of my exterior doors. While they seem to work fine with my Hubitat, I've noticed that battery levels don't seem to accurately be reported. All the sensors are reporting 100% battery. I know this isn't the case. Is this is a known issue and is there any way to fix it?

Yeah, I didn't pay attention but you are right. All my sensors also show 100% battery which can't be. Some with 2 years battery. @mike.maxwell ?

I guess I'm curious about this one too. I have a few of these contact sensors that are about 14 months old, and are all reporting 100%. But, to be honest, I don't remember what the levels were when they were still connected to ST. So, in my case, I can't be certain mine aren't actually at 100%.

Batteries have a huge voltage drop off. They usually don't accurately report percentage until the end. Basically, once it's starts dropping, you have like 5-10% left.. all my battery devices so this. The more batteries, the more warning. My lock that takes 4 AA batteries shows between 90-100 for a year and as soon as it hits 80% I have like 2 days left.

Maybe true for rechargeable battery. Otherwise it's predictable with non-rechargeable by measuring voltage.

My contact sensors have CR2032 batteries. According to EverReady the discharge curve is pretty flat until it isn't.

I didn't research it but I'll guess the battery has some thermal coefficient of voltage. Add this to the normal variation from battery to battery making it nearly impossible for a voltage measurement to accurately reflect remaining capacity.

You are correct. It's not easy to have accurate battery reading but because most zigbee/Z-wave devices are not heavy draw on battery. We can display % from 3.0 to 2.6 volts easily. From 3v to 2.6v could take months for most of these sensors.

I think you give these devices too much credit. If I had to guess I would guess they use the red line as an approximation.

I guess either that or wait for a dead battery. I can't speak for other devices but my Ecolink still on the same battery after 2 years so I would think it will last at least a couple months more between those voltages but I totally agree with your argument about accuracy.

Realize this is an old thread but just replaced all my Ecolink contact sensor batteries. They all still showed 100% but they were all dead. Wondering if there is a better driver for them than the Generic Zigbee Contact Sensor that might report battery a little bit better?

Its my understanding the hardware communicates the % battery left, not the voltage. I don't think the driver has any influence on the reading.

What brand batteries were you using?

The ones that came with the sensors. I now have some Energizers in these. I'll just need to keep a better eye on them I guess.

Some of my battery powered devices (Iris v2 Leak sensors made by Centralite) do not seem to routinely send battery reports. For those, I have found that issuing a "refresh()" command a couple time a week via Rule Machine is enough to get the data I need. YMMV, of course.

I use "Device Activity Check" and kinda of ignore the battery readings. I know this way I loose up to a day of function but it works the best for me.

3 Likes