Replacing Zigbee bulbs

Hi - I have 2 Cree and 1 Lightify bulbs (just white, dimmable) that I want to replace with Sengled bulbs. What is the recommended process for removing the bulbs from Hubitat? Since there is no “replace” functionality, I’m assuming I will have to pair the new bulbs, add them to my automations and then remove the old bulbs from the automation. But do I have to reset the old bulbs in order to remove them from the hub or can I just “remove” from the device page? Any downside to this? I’ve just about gotten my mesh stable but having occasional issues with the Cree (sometimes 1 bulb will not come on) and Lightify (goes through multiple level changes when turning on or off). Thanks for your help

You are correct: you'll have to add the new device, then replace it in all of your apps/automations.

For Zigbee devices, you generally have two options for removal. Clicking the "Remove" button while the device is on your network normally lets the device, which then resets itself, know it's been removed. For light bulbs, often you'll see some indication from them that this was successful, though I don't know the Cree or Lightify behavior off the top of my head (often it's a blink or two).

If this device is unresponsive for some reason (unplugged, dead battery, fell off the network for some reason), then Hubitat will still proceed with removing it from its database, but the device itself may still think it's on your network the next time you power it on. This is generally still not problematic, other than that you might have a repeater (or end device) you don't know about, which for bulbs (as a repeater) would probably be bad. :slight_smile: That can be solved by manually resetting the device yourself--which it can't hurt to do regardless but normally isn't necessary if the device was healthily "removed."

On a related note, I think replacing this is great idea for reasons I'm sure you're aware of, so yay!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.