Replacing old Z-Wave Dimmers

I am planning to replace 3 old Aeotec Dimmers (they are very poor performers) with ZEN77 Dimmers. Currently 2 out of 3 Aeotec Dimmers are a repeaters for the multiple devices. I hope, Zwave mesh should/will reconfigure itself. But is it anything should/must be done before and/or after a replacement in order to minimize potential problems?
Any recommendations are very welcome.

If you have any "classic" (300-series or older) devices left, they may need a "Repair" (ideally on the node itself, not your whole network) to find new routes. Z-Wave Plus (500-series and later) is capable of finding new routes on its own via a feature called explorer frames, so you shouldn't need to do anything there. But if you have problems and don't want to wait, the same may help. Nowadays, however, you'll normally be fine.

The only thing I'd be sure to do is exclude or remote the old nodes so the radio knows they're gone. This is easiest when the device is still powered up (likely before you replace it), but that does make swapping the actual device trickier if you don't have the new one paired yet (a temporary virtual device may work, or you can just remember to remove it later).

1 Like

All my ZWave devices are 500 or newer.
My replacement plan is:

• power on new device on a desk;
  • add this new device to the hub;
  • make sure it is 100% functional;
  • swap logicaly devices in all related rules;
  • swap physical devices;
  • power on old device on desk;
  • remove old device from a hub;

And Thank You for confirming nothing else is required.

3 Likes

you can just use the swap in settings ... it will all that for you !

2 Likes

Personally I have always added devices in place of their permanent location vs at my desk. With the C8 external and mostly direct connected devices this is probably not as necessary but I am still in the habit of doing this. I remove each device and pair the new device(s) and then go back to my desk to swap out the old and new devices in my apps. I leverage the Swap Apps Device feature under settings to move them as @WarlockWeary suggests.

I have a old stereo plug where I cut off the end and have exposed positive and negative wires and will insert into the old switch for power and then remove the old devices one by one and call it a day.

Does swap remove the old device from the hub?

The Swap Apps Device does not remove anything - as its name implies, it just swaps devices.

Huh, well now that I look at it, that name is kinda odd... maybe it should be Swap Devices App instead? :man_shrugging:

no .. it just swaps old device to new one in all the apps!
so you do not have to do anything with changing all that stuff
makes it super easy :slight_smile:

Docs article on this feature: