Replacing Devices Without Breaking Rules?

Done and worked excelent, I just dont have any idea why I did NOT have to do the last step. "Click Remove once that button appears and you should be good"

The old device as is now the hub with the NEW Network ID is controling the newly included device, as spected. And the temp device dose not show any more, since it was delated just afew steps before.

Great, thanks. Works for me.

BUT ONE CAVEAT AND EDIT:
IF you are replacing a device with a NON-IDENTICAL DEVICE, you must also change the driver "Type".

For example, I just used your instructions to replace a EvaLogik Smart Plug with a GE Enbrighten smart plug...and the plug didn't work upon testing. Of course it didn't, because the driver Type was different!

Right before your step that says "You can test...." add:
b-make a note of the drivers for your temp device, and your old device
c-switch the driver types from each device to the other.
d-you may want to also update the "Device Name" to the correct kind of device.
e-Save Device settings.
f-click "Configure at the top of each Device page"

2 Likes

One additional step, anytime you change the driver you need to click Configure at the top.

2 Likes

Thanks. Edited.

1 Like

Newbie here.
Is this still the best method to replace a device?

I'm setting up a new system and so far had to exclude then re-include a few devices that stopped working properly to get them back online. Having to update all the app-code isnt a pleasant job and easy to miss an occurrence. Is there a way to check and/or find "broken" code when a device has been removed?

Welcome to Hubitat. Functionality has been added to help you with this since the posts above:
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Swap_Apps_Device

thanks for that! That could save me!

1 Like