Replacing 2 smart bulbs in the hall with a switch soon and have an issue

So I have two Sengled bulbs in the hall that are working great but the wall switches have tape over them so people don't turn the switch off. I'm going to install a ZEN77 to replace that and I was going to put in dumb bulbs BUT one of the hall lights that is closest to the living room has a rule that keeps it from going on and off depending on if the TV is on.

If I leave the zigbee light in there since they don't repeat is it an issue? I know there would be a potential delay turning it on and off and adjusting since it would first need to be powered back up. How quickly would it resync with the hub? Any other solutions that might be better?

I do want the switch to be able to work just fine for people that don't know about the home automation system so I want the lights to go on and off with the switch but I still would like for my automations to work as they are now.

Thanks for any ideas.

One option is to leave both ZigBee lights in, and let the hub do the work, by enabling "smart bulb mode" on the zen77. This keeps the power on at all time, but sends events to the hub which you can in turn use to trigger the ZigBee lights on/off.

I use this in my house with zen71 switches and lifx lights.

Hmmmm didn't think about that option. I wanted it to still be able to work if the hub was down for some reason but I'll think about that. Thanks for the idea.

Since this is a dimmer setup I wonder if the mirror app would let me mirror the switch to the bulbs? Trying to figure how you'd make a rule that would say, with the switch in smart bulb mode, to look for dimmer up and then raise the light accordingly and vice versa.

The built-in mirror app is one-way, typically for use cases where you always use the switch to initiate control.

I use this community app:

It provides two-way replication of events/actions, using a timer to avoid hysteresis loops.

1 Like

Highly recommend using the advanced driver for the switches.

You can enable scene functionality that lets you use the switch in Button Controller.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.