Replacement C8 antennas. (Link posted for what worked for me)

I don't believe you have an antenna issue.

I would suggest that you start a new topic asking for Z-Wave help, about why your devices are slow. This topic doesn't draw those users who can help, because they aren't looking at replacement antennas as a solution. I personally don't know enough to help you. Maybe @csteele, or someone else who is very knowledgable...

Thanks. I do have a thread on the C-7 being worse for me than the C-8, but I'll start a new one pulling some stuff from those 2 into 1.

In my case I also found that C7 (with antenna mod) has better gain and more direct connections than C8
https://community.hubitat.com/t/testing-results-of-z-wave-antennas/118062

I saw that. Seems insane, but you are getting the same worse off results with the C-8 that I am experiencing, and I’ve been running daily tests for about 2 months now. I didn’t do the C-7 mod as I didn’t want to be without my hub for a couple of weeks and was hoping for an official version with antennas.

BTW, I too tried a 3 rd party antenna, which didn’t help either.

If there is some kind of attenuation going on in the C-8 as you suspect in the linked thread will it be possible to fix this via software?

If not, is this perhaps some manufacturing defect or an engineering one or both, and what would be required to fix that?

1 Like

One other question: I've notice certain devices vary greatly in their connection speed on a day-by-day basis. One day they will connect at 100 and the next at 9.6. They might stay at one speed for days only to suddenly change. I purposely went with Z-Wave Plus devices as I thought they were supposed to be free from Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and other interference. I'm not moving any furniture or pictures around. So what would be causing them to continually fluctuate like that?

I too have seen this with the C8. My C7 also does this too but to a lesser extent. At first I thought maybe there was some external interference that happens regularly near my house- but it would have to happen at 3AM ( database cleanup time) when RF traffic is at a minimum. Maybe the Silabs chip algorithm flushes the mesh at intervals and starts over.