Reoccurring issues Im having with my C7

I have a C7 and wondering what is going on with it. My home relies on this thing big time. I love the Hubitat and created a lot of things that are controlled with this unit. But lately I have been having issues with updates. Switches and routines that I have written and been using for years now, are intermittent and only working when I reboot the c7 daily. One of the issues is the playtrack. It works for about 2 days then requires a reboot to continue to work. This last update, I put it in and half of my stuff quit working. I had to roll it back. I still have issues with the playtrack but the other things fixed themselves. I am wondering, is my c7 outdated now, am I having issues with memory or processing power? Am I the only one, maybe my C7 is faulty? Thanks for your input. I understand a lot of you will want to troubleshoot this with logs etc... but the fact is the unit is only malfunctioning with updates. Old rev's work as always. Thanks.

I don't expect your hub is faulty or the platform in general, at least it sounds like it would be highly unlikely in this case.

Can you be more specific about what you are experiencing (or not) when you say the play track is not working? Is it just that nothing is happening?

It might be worth starting by posting a screenshot of the rules / automations you are having problems with and mentioning what device / driver you are having issues with.

Also, when you are having issues with calling the play track command, is it only within an automation that you are having issues, or does the same issue occur if you try to run the play track command from the device detail page?

When you talk about having issues with platform updates, I think it would pay to be more specific about what versions you have had issues with and which one's you have seen work as expected. This may help narrow down where the issue may have come from, if in fact it is platform related, which it may not be.

You are right, logs will ultimately be where you end up, so it would be useful to capture some and post some screenshots. You may want to turn on some additional logging for the device and/or automation before you look to capture any logs, just to see if more detailed logs provide any clues. The Events page for the device can also be another useful source of information.

In terms of keeping tabs on the state of the hub, have you installed the Hub Information driver at all? It can be a useful tool, providing a good overview of the hub state.

There are 3 things that are vital to my hubitat. One, I have an automatic dog door that when the dogs either break my sonic distance proximity sensor or the outside sensor (laser beam) it opens the door. The sensor for the two switch are connected to a Sonoff basic modified with tasmota using the http hook version by markus. When the switch sees the trip, it tells the hubitat that it was triggered. The app is triggered by the change, the door is open by another sonoff switch and a delay of 7 sec before closing.
Two, I have a fish tank that does 10% weekly water changes automatically. The zwave switches are connected to float switches when tell water levels and controls the drain and the fill of the RO water.
Three, I have an app that locks my door at 10 and sends a mp3 of "it's 10pm, do you know where your children are?" The lock continues to work, but the playtrack to my google home smart clock works until I need to reboot the c7.

All three of these quit working altogether with the new update. I tried everything to get them to work before I rolled it back but nothing fixed it. My aquarium actually over flowed and caused a major water damage on my wall. I have a water leak detector as a back up just for this but it failed with the update as well. I am done updated until I figure this out. The only thing that has failed with the firmware I am on is the playtrack. I set up a new virtual switch and wrote another quick app to play an mp3 from the hubitat files but it only worked after I reboot it as well. This is a glitch in the firmware. If it works then doesn't, it's not me or my logic. Thanks for all your help!

Really sorry to hear about the damage to your wall, that is not good at all, and I can understand wanting to work out what is happening before moving forward.

You will need to be more specific about where the failures are occurring, which may not be clear at this stage for you, I'm not sure. But in order to work out what is happening, it is important to work out where in the chain of events / triggers each automation is breaking down.

There could be communication / mesh issues with your devices, or it could be app-related, it is hard to know from the description you provided so far. This is where the logs and device events can come in handy, in order to see what happens and when and, importantly what doesn't happen. It may reach the point where you have to disable these automations and upgrade the hub in order to troubleshoot the issues, but hopefully others here may have some ingenious ideas to avoid that.

If you have 3 very separate automations that are not working, and they all involve Z-Wave devices, that may be a good place to start, though I am not 100% sure about the types of protocols involved in your dog door automation (number 1 of the three). That said, I notice you mention that the locks continue to work in your third automation.... In the end it is all guess work at this stage, at least for me.

Sounds like I got sidetracked by the play track issue, probably worth leaving that to one side for now, based on your other issues.

I only have one with z-wave, the others are using wifi through sonoff. There is one thing I am concerned about. The tasmota that I am using to trigger the hubitat is the 2015 version with http hook. I know there are newer ways to get on/off information from the switch to the hubitat. So for instance, when you turn on the light with the wall switch, the dashboard will switch will light up. It needs to "poll" or receive communication from the smart switch. The http hook is the old version that most don't use anymore. I was wondering if that has been written out of the new firmware since none of my lights would communicated to the hubitat once I upgraded. I don't understand the new method of this communication, so thus far I have resisted changing.

Re the Tasmota stuff... that would be stretching my own knowledge, so would rely on others to chime in with any advice there...

Beyond that, posting some screenshots of the rules and the devices involved is all I can really suggest in terms of moving forward with troubleshooting your issues. As I mentioned before, logs would require applying the platform update, so I can understand if you want to put that off for now.

Thanks for those.

Looking at number one, the dog door, my suggestion would be to investigate if you are getting the required communications with the trigger sensors, that they are triggering the rule and if the communication with the Dog Door switch is working. This would need the platform upgrade to be applied, though you may still be able to look back at past logs and device events without upgrading the HE platform, depending on how much history you keep for each.

With number 3, I'm not saying this will necessarily be the issue, particularly given you are experiencing different behaviour between platform updates.... but the use of the OR condition caught my eye. I always like to use brackets to make sure there is no room for interpretation by whatever language / system I am working with. I am expecting you want one of the last two conditions in that first block to be true? The fail safe being dry OR the override being on? If so, I would put brackets around both of these, e.g. ( fail safe being dry OR the override being on ).

Brackets aside, I still expect it will come down to assessing what devices are working under the newer platform version and whether there is any issues in communicating with them. The rules look fine, I can't see anything major that is jumping out as to reason for all three to have issues, or any of them individually.....

This is the tasmota I am using that fails with the newest firmware. Can anyone tell me why?

I figured out the issue. I had the driver tasmota sync installed trying to get the regular tasmota to work. It was conflicting with the regular markus version. I am going to get my backup hubitat out and experiment. Thanks for all the responses.

3 Likes

I just stumbled on this thread now. I’m glad you got your tasmota sorted.

I had 16 Teckin SP10’s in operation at one point … now I am down to only a handful. But I am still using the same tasmota version you are - v.8.5.1 and I even went back to an earlier version of Markus’s driver - v.0.93 because I didn’t like the parent/child setup and how hub mesh handled it.

1 Like

I tried to get away from the markus tasmota v8.5.1 but the response time using the other method is way too slow. Sometimes it would take up to 20 secs to respond. I have an automatic dog door counting on that trigger and the dogs won't wait 20 secs. Maybe I have it set up wrong, but I set up a second hubitat device to so experiments on so I can test before I change things. It's not fun to take automation down while testing.

What other method were you trying and what driver version are you using from Markus?

Yes, taking things offline to debug can be painful.

I just used the latested HE form of Tasmota. The other method, I followed this the best that I could and it was confusing but I got it working. However, it doesn't change stat quickly, sometimes it takes a while. [RELEASE] Tasmota Sync - Native and Real-time Synchronization between Hubitat and Tasmota 11 or later - #146 by logan3089

Now I understand what you are referring to. I had read part of that thread that you linked at one time, but I never tried switching to that solution, so I am no help to you.